What constitutes a good speaker for a line array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a bunch of 2" speakers (12) from a Mac speaker system doing nothing and no worth using for anything really since I don't own a Mac and just thought today that maybe I could use them for a line array Center channel for my HT for right now. No matter what I am going to try them but was wondering what everyone might think of this.

The way they are used right now is in a very small enclosure.... maybe .1 cubes per speaker, I haven't measured yet. I'm sure there is close to nil chance of getting T/S on these little guys. could these be ported? Is it worth it? Is the line array worth it with 12 of them? Let me know your thoughts.

If these are the H-K speakers in the plastic balls, they are rated 8 Ohms. They aren't bad. 1" vented voice coil driving a 1.5" inverted aluminum dome with rubber surround.

If you're using all 12 in a center channel, wire up 3 groups of 4 in parallel (2 Ohms), and wire the 3 groups in series for 6 Ohms.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you mean the Chrystal Spheres with the JBL driver? JBL got the patents, HK used it as well. Newer ones have Foster drivers in them.

with a dozen it would be interesting to try packing them into a dodecahedron.

dave

Attachments

• chrystal-shperes.jpg
    chrystal-shperes.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 103

Attachments

• 100_0483.JPG
    100_0483.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.