"Point source" array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my array:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not 100% DIY but just slightly modified. Bose are turned around, mounted on the wall close to the ceiling and walls. Crate 2 x 15 Bass Cabinet modified for stereo operation for my bass and mid bass. All speakers uses active crossovers. Fills the room with big sound. Hardly no dead spots or hot spots. I'm listening to classic rock more now than ever because of my set up. Love the mid bass. Also sounds great with DVD movies playback even though it's only stereo. it has a big, but not necessarily loud sound.

Love it !!!!!!!!!!

double 15's always work !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use an active crossover, under 200hz = 15's, then 200-2khz the bose, then something stout for 2khz and above, that would go loud !!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a compression driver, but something that can take some abuse.

And yes, the off axis of a focused array will be a bit smeared, but still much better than any non time aligned setup. I figure a 3' tall array will have a 1" bow for a focus of 14', not much smear at all.....

Norman

Would a sphere or hemisphere eliminate the arrival time effects of a line array, especially if it's relatively small, while keeping the dynamics of spreading the work over several drivers? Am I nutz?

Could you please describe what you desire SONICALLY?

Do you want pinpoint or diffuse imaging?
Are you comfortable with a certain sweet spot or do you want to listen at any point in the room?
Do you like the musicians perform in your room or do you want to be in the room the musicians play in?
Can the virtual room be flat or do you prefer some height?
Do you mainly listen to true stereo, multi-miked, or close-miked recordings with synthetic reverb?

Love it !!!!!!!!!!

double 15's always work !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use an active crossover, under 200hz = 15's, then 200-2khz the bose, then something stout for 2khz and above, that would go loud !!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a compression driver, but something that can take some abuse.

And yes, the off axis of a focused array will be a bit smeared, but still much better than any non time aligned setup. I figure a 3' tall array will have a 1" bow for a focus of 14', not much smear at all.....

Norman

I have my Gemini active crossover set at 720 and somtimes 320 hz depending on the music. Some recordings have alot of mid range. At 200 hz or so the sound becomes thinner. Just played Eagles dvd this weekend and I'm very impressed with the outcome even though it's only a 2.0. Will play with it more this weekend. The 15 inchers are driven by a small Sony reciever combo. Probably putting out 15 to 25 watts per channel. It does have bass boost feature though. Have not clip it. The room is only 15' wide x 10' high and 12' long. After that 12' the furnishings are in the way.

Could you please describe what you desire SONICALLY?

Do you want pinpoint or diffuse imaging?
Are you comfortable with a certain sweet spot or do you want to listen at any point in the room?
Do you like the musicians perform in your room or do you want to be in the room the musicians play in?
Can the virtual room be flat or do you prefer some height?
Do you mainly listen to true stereo, multi-miked, or close-miked recordings with synthetic reverb?

Ah, you see that's the problem. I want it all. Pinpoint imaging, listen from anywhere, recreate the original performance space, and listen to all kinds of recordings. They conflict.

Mostly I'm curious what spheres or a point source sound like. Why do people talk of an ideal point source? Why is a point ideal? Is it just that that's the only geometry they can easily model mathematically?

Does it sound like a Bose 901 turned backwards or a Bose PA?

Well, it'll be loud and clean fer sher! Report back how it rates by el`Ol's criteria.

901s can sound awesome and do a good image of a large source like an orchestra, but they need a proper reflector (back wall), solid, non-resonant, and diffusing. Something like a stone wall works nicely. Hang 'em high, 18" from the ceiling, and a couple feet out from the wall. Lots of power needed in the bass, though. Using separate woofers and a super tweeter ought to help.

I'll check them out this weekend. Hopefully no damage to cones and/or foam. I'll have to Use the pedestal for the time being. 2 901's maybe too heavy for the wall mount. This'll be an interesting project. Have thought about this years ago. The prices are cheap now for used ones. Worth giving this a try.

Well, it'll be loud and clean fer sher! Report back how it rates by el`Ol's criteria.

901s can sound awesome and do a good image of a large source like an orchestra, but they need a proper reflector (back wall), solid, non-resonant, and diffusing. Something like a stone wall works nicely. Hang 'em high, 18" from the ceiling, and a couple feet out from the wall. Lots of power needed in the bass, though. Using separate woofers and a super tweeter ought to help.

I have them mounted on the wall via CRT TV wall mounts. These mounts allow for horizontal movement and slight up and down tilt. I can bring the speakers closer to the sidewalls or towards the center of the wall. Every change of position does change the sound characteristics. I found the sound engulfing when I position the speakers closer to the sidewalls.
With the speakers on the center of the wall, It's almost like a regular direct firing speakers. The 15 inchers does add some meat and thickness to the sound.
No need for super tweeter. Plenty of high frequencies coming out without the restrictive speaker cloth and also I have these speakers facing backwards. They resemble the 802's.

For $150 and your current setup, I'd pick them up...............

A hefty tweeter will be your best bang for the buck with active crossover.

Hopefully, they don't get sold before Friday. I want to look at them first and get some resistance measurement to see if shorted or burned out. Got plenty of high frequencies with my current set up. The Denon AVR-2600 in Matrix mode provides a lot of HF sound. Most of the time, I have to turn the treble control down on the Denon. The active equalizer is set at mid position. I'll keep you posted.

Well, a bit of thread necromancy here. I finally got around to a first cut at the spherical array. Parts: a couple of Ikea wooden bowls and bamboo lazy suzan trays for enclosure, along with eight 1.5" H-K Genesis drivers scounged from surplus Apple crystal ball speakers. Pix here:
MobileMe Gallery

First off, they aren't as efficient as R-S Linaeums, needing about 8dB more oomph out of the amp, with a corresponding cut to the subwoofer level. They are smooth sounding up to fairly loud levels (well above my normal level) where a metallic raspy breakup begins to make you cringe. Highs are plenty present despite the rapid falloff measured above 10KHz. Listening hard, there's some lack of shimmer on cymbals, but then my hearing above 10KHz is not so hot these days. No obvious "jug" resonance, which I was worried about from the round enclosure. Damping is adequate.

So what do they sound like subjectively? They throw a solid image which stays put as you move around / sit / stand. There is a sweet spot, or rather a fairly large sweet area centered on the apex of an equilateral triangle with the speakers. Image extends from a couple of feet outside the speakers all the way between, and has considerable depth depending on the recording. Renée Fleming on "A Love Like This" with Charlie Haden (Sophisticated Ladies) sounds like she's right in the room, and the quartet is right behind her. On the other hand, vocals on Steely Dan's "Gaucho" are set well back among the instruments, which is not so pronounced with my other speakers. Orchestral music sounds full and naturally balanced, but on extreme dynamics, you either lose the softest parts in room noise or run out of headroom on the loudest peaks. This might be amplifier clipping (40W / chan chip amps) but I am dubious about hitting 2" speakers with my 200W big amps. Sharp transients are crisp without any smear. In all, I rate them a success. Easy to listen to, if a couple of degrees less refined than the modded Linaeums or Quad 57s. Well above the run-of-the-mill. Certainly couldn't have bought a pair of anything as good for ~$50 build cost.

Next, I want to set them up with their own sub woofer, either an 8" RCA from Rat Shack, or a KLH out in the garage. If they do as well as expected, they will likely get hung on the wall in the family room or perhaps the bedroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.