Open Baffle: Ceiling deployment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I, personally see no problem with this idea. It would give some interesting reflections. Just make sure you hold them up with brackets, and cables allow the baffle to move at 180 degrees phase to the woofer, resulting in serious bass loss - woofer moves forward, baffle moves back a little, air just moves between the two. At school they have a serious set up, but using 2-way 15" cabs, hung by wires. Then they got some held up by brackets. Suddenly, the need for bass eq goes away.

Chris

I am using something quite similar in my work shop.

Open baffles hung from the rafters,in a very low pitch roof, so are are fairly close to the roof. With the bass boost up on my old pioneer receiver they sound quite good. In home with a ceiling above I dont see why it wont work better.

Ed

Just make sure you hold them up with brackets, as cables allow the baffle to move at 180 degrees phase to the woofer, resulting in serious bass loss - woofer moves forward, baffle moves back a little, air just moves between the two.

Great! Thanks! That's exactly the kind of help I was hoping people would give me! I WAS planning on just hanging them with wire from plant hangers... now I'll figure out some brackets to hold them rigidly.

Thanks!

Tom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.