microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Inspired by exposure to the original EPI microTowers (by Winslow Burhoe) in our youth, Chris & I, with Scott Lindgren's help, have come up with a tribute to this landmark vintage product,

We have come up with a small bipolar ML-TL for either the Marl Audio CHR-70, CSS EL70, or Planet10-HiFi E70eN (with an appropriate port) that with the exception of being 1" taller is the same size as the original.

microTowersx2.gif

Since we were squeezing drivers into a format instead of making the boxes fit the drivers, we have held off release until actual builds were heard. We now have both a traditional microTower with CHR70eN & a castle variation with EL70eN. We like them both.

We are quite pleased with these. Bass is exceptional (a bit of port damping required if you get them too close to a boundary), WAF is high, build is easy.

The design quickly generated a bunch of variations, including a chubby/omnipole version and a halfTower that can be a floorstander or a wall-mount.

Plans are just being detailed and i will post a link within the next week.

dave

Attached is a comp of most of the variations.

Edit: 02-jun-15 microTower maps & documentation

Attachments

• utower-family800.gif
    utower-family800.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 7,475
audiosteve said:
Hi Planet 10. Thanks for doing this great work on cabs for the CHR-70! I've been waiting for this.
Would you by any chance have a variant that will work properly with a single driver per box?

Thanks much.

Yes, that's included in the documentation soon to be released.

I can tell you that having heard 2 versions of the the mT's (CHR70 and EL70), there's definitely some magic going on with the bipole/"castle" configuration.

or maybe it's just memories of selling hundreds of pairs of the original funky white EPI towers in the 70's, and countless hours of Doobies and the Brothers "Listen to the Music" (oh yes, this was the 70's, and inhaling was involved) , CCR "Suzie Q", and ELP "Lucky Man"

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
audiosteve said:
Would you by any chance have a variant that will work properly with a single driver per box?

yes, saw it in half and you get a halfTower.

I haven't done a visualization of this one yet, but have an early version of the wallMount variation on the halfTower. Note that the brace in this visualization is too short, our actual build revealed some front panel vibration just below the driver so the brace was lengthened, Also the orientation of the application has the bulk of the box above the ear & the port firing at the ceiling. Bevels were also added to match a full set of small wall mount surrounds and a centre.

dave

Attachments

• chr70-ml-tl-wall-3d.gif
    chr70-ml-tl-wall-3d.gif
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,322
chrisb said:
or maybe it's just memories of selling hundreds of pairs of the original funky white EPI towers in the 70's, and countless hours of Doobies and the Brothers "Listen to the Music" (oh yes, this was the 70's, and inhaling was involved) , CCR "Suzie Q", and ELP "Lucky Man"

There should be some Doobie Brothers spinin' at the upcoming "fest".:D

You should finish a pair of the new towers in white, just for nostalgia sake. :up:

Jeff

vinylkid58 said:

There should be some Doobie Brothers spinin' at the upcoming "fest".:D

You should finish a pair of the new towers in white, just for nostalgia sake. :up:

Jeff

sorry there won't be time for the paint job, but you can feel free to blast a pair together.

but for the nostalgia aspect, since there's a good chance of at least one fully functional vinyl rig, everyone feel free to bring their favorite early 70's analog treasures, I'd particularly like to revisit Donna Summer, "oooo, luvtaluvyababby", or how about some Foghat, "Slow Ride"

chrisb said:
but for the nostalgia aspect, since there's a good chance of at least one fully functional vinyl rig, everyone feel free to bring their favorite early 70's analog treasures, I'd particularly like to revisit Donna Summer, "oooo, luvtaluvyababby", or how about some Foghat, "Slow Ride"

I have a nice copy of Sweet's "Desolation Boulevard". Remember "Ballroom Blitz"? :D

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
That can't be played in the UK anymore without a large number of Gene Hunt-isms rapidly following in it's wake. :D

Ruth and i are getting into Ashes to Ashes. Really enjoyed the US remake of Life on Mars (fantastic ending -- i'm guessing the UK version ended somewhat differently -- we only caught 1 episode (not the 1st) and there was too much context missing)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.