microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the reply ChrisB. I built push - push configured enclosures with the two EL70s in each, but after trying them in the Windermere enclosures, preferred that configuration. There seemed to be more "bite" (my term, not so technical) to the sound.

What I particularly like about the "castle" (up-firing second driver) configuration is the combination of excellent bass response (most particularly with the EL70), spacious soundstage and ease of placement in compact footprint that passes the "Sue" test.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sorry Dave, I thought that all the same sized enclosures, regardless of the speaker placement position were called Castle. I had thought of placing one speaker facing up and the other on the baffle, but liking the sound of the Windermere with both speakers facing forward, thought I could do the same with this enclosure. Not so? The holey brace placement would be more straight forward with both facing forward, but I can at this stage still put one on top.

If placed both on the front, get them as close together as possible and pushed up as high as is reasonable. Note that you won't get any BSC with this config.

dave

What's the "Sue test"? ;)

I know the "Laura Test" well, but the "Sue Test"? Methinks there exists a conspiracy to take over the world...

Even if not for the WAF appeal, the benefits are as Dave states. As an owner of genuine Castle loudspeakers (alas not the Howards, Winchesters, etc), all Castle loudspeakers have this in spades. But the "double tuned" TLs sound mighty impressive (or did last time I heard some). Not the most "transparent" sounding but very musical with a slightly veiled mid-range. If I could have afforded them, I'd have bought a pair instead of the Durham 900s (which ain't no slouch either for a small-ish bookshelf). The Castle TLs would be a great match for slightly hot sounding electronics.

If the CHR/EL 70 family of Castle style micro-towers are deemed a touch bright (compared to the originals) that would be a good thing IMHO. For clarification: I'm not suggesting that the CHR/EL-70 family are bright.

I know the "Laura Test" well, but the "Sue Test"? Methinks there exists a conspiracy to take over the world...

well how about a translation "those look nice, where were you thinking of putting them?" = "not in my room you don't"

"I like those" = "those will look good in my room"

kinda like

"we'll see" = "do it yourself" ;)

If the CHR/EL 70 family of Castle style micro-towers are deemed a touch bright (compared to the originals) that would be a good thing IMHO. For clarification: I'm not suggesting that the CHR/EL-70 family are bright.

CHR70's are not bright so much as more finely detailed and extended at the very top, and not as weighty in the bottom as the ELs

TheCHP70.2 is definitely softer on the top than either .

Home wanted for my CSS EL-70 microTower Castles.

After trying all sorts of things to get my MTs to image properly in my new apartment, (see my previous post) I've come to the conclusion that the 11' ceiling and open floor plan into the kitchen have conspired to defeat me. Without serious (and definitely wife unacceptable) room correction measures, they just don't fit.

Coupled with a lack of access to a woodshop, I've decided to forego the DIY for my next speakers and buy a pair of good bookshelfs (on stands).

I'm putting my MTs up for adoption to anyone in the NYC area who is willing to come and get them. (Here they are when new - They've darkened a bit, as cherry always does, and I've added adjustable felt feet). I no longer have a car so you will have to drive in to Brooklyn to get them, but I'm directly across the street from the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so you can make a day of it if you're so inclined. Great restaurants in the area, too.

If you are interested, please PM me or email btrancho at gmail.com and we will set something up. This is somewhat time sensitive as I have little room to store extra speakers for very long.

They are very sweet little speakers and deserve a good home.

OMG, figures I'm in Oregon. That said, I would gladly pay you for the speakers + shipping. If interested, email and I would send Paypal, check, Visa, money order, carrier pigeon, whatever you prefer.

Pop

Home wanted for my CSS EL-70 microTower Castles.

After trying all sorts of things to get my MTs to image properly in my new apartment, (see my previous post) I've come to the conclusion that the 11' ceiling and open floor plan into the kitchen have conspired to defeat me. Without serious (and definitely wife unacceptable) room correction measures, they just don't fit.

Coupled with a lack of access to a woodshop, I've decided to forego the DIY for my next speakers and buy a pair of good bookshelfs (on stands).

I'm putting my MTs up for adoption to anyone in the NYC area who is willing to come and get them. (Here they are when new - They've darkened a bit, as cherry always does, and I've added adjustable felt feet). I no longer have a car so you will have to drive in to Brooklyn to get them, but I'm directly across the street from the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so you can make a day of it if you're so inclined. Great restaurants in the area, too.

If you are interested, please PM me or email btrancho at gmail.com and we will set something up. This is somewhat time sensitive as I have little room to store extra speakers for very long.

They are very sweet little speakers and deserve a good home.

Sorry, Pop, but I'm just not equipped to properly pack them for shipment across the country, nor do I have the means to then transport them to the local UPS/FEDEX depots. I'm a city boy now and gave up my car(s).

This has to be a (no cash) and carry deal.

The major reason I moved back to NYC was to be near my daughter and grand-daughter. Now there's a grandson due any time now so my wife and I are on call for the next few weeks for childcare duties. I need to make this as simple as possible.

BTW - to make it more clear - these are up for adoption, I'm not selling them. They are free to whomever wants to come and get them.

Bob

OMG, figures I'm in Oregon. That said, I would gladly pay you for the speakers + shipping. If interested, email and I would send Paypal, check, Visa, money order, carrier pigeon, whatever you prefer.

Pop

Last edited:
What about the speaker drivers alone (no cabs)? A guy has to ask :) I'd make it worth the stroll to the post office :)

Sorry, Pop, but I'm just not equipped to properly pack them for shipment across the country, nor do I have the means to then transport them to the local UPS/FEDEX depots. I'm a city boy now and gave up my car(s).

This has to be a (no cash) and carry deal.

The major reason I moved back to NYC was to be near my daughter and grand-daughter. Now there's a grandson due any time now so my wife and I are on call for the next few weeks for childcare duties. I need to make this as simple as possible.

BTW - to make it more clear - these are up for adoption, I'm not selling them. They are free to whomever wants to come and get them.

Bob

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It'd be a real shame to part the drivers from those gorgeous cabinets.

Bob, have you tried completely rearranging the furniture orientation in the room?

The reason I ask is because I saw your room diagram from earlier in the thread and (except for room height) it is similar to my room. When I had furniture and speakers arranged as you have on your room map, I was getting too much reflection from the right side of the room which messed up imaging and soundstage to a certain extent. I recently rearranged the room and things have improved very much. New amplification helped a lot too.

PS as you might guess from my avatar, I have the same speakers as you have.

I'd really rather not separate the drivers, either.

I am very limited in my furniture arrangement. WAF is very big here.

I reversed the layout from the one I diagrammed originally, so the reflective wall is to the left, but the issue is the same as yours. I really believe that the 11' ceiling plays a big part here with the upward firing driver and the fact that there are wall deflections as high up as 10'. I have a large handmade quilt hanging behind the sofa and placed some large throw pillows across the back for serious listening. Bass is pretty contained and clear. There is a 9x6 oriental rug directly in front of the speakers. But there is no way in hell that I will be putting any acoustic materials on the ceiling or upper walls.

Changing out my Prima Luna Prologue 2 amp is not in the cards. It's a very sweet piece of kit.

I got a good deal on a pair of discontinued Polk Monitor 30 speakers a month ago that I am using as near field computer monitors. On a whim, I removed the MTs and placed the Polks in their place. The effect was immediate and significant - vastly improved sound stage and detail; very easy to adjust the speaker positions for clear mid-range; and spot-on centering of vocals and discrete instruments. Even my wife, who rarely comments much on these things, came out of the kitchen to sit down on the couch and say" Wow, these sound so much better!"

So, I'm getting a new (better) pair of book shelf speakers. They are ordered and will arrive next week.

If no one on this board comes forward to claim them, I'll probably offer them to the other residents and maintenance staff here in my coop building. Only if I get no takers will I consider removing the drivers.

The funny thing is that I built these specifically to have smaller speakers (than my Half Changs) for my move to an apartment. Unfortunately, I didn't know then that the housing crunch would enable me to afford a nice, pre-war apartment with tall ceilings. Had I known, I would probably have chosen a more direct firing design like the Fonkens or Frugal Horns. Truthfully, I'm happy trading my MTs for a great apartment find in Brooklyn.

Bob

It'd be a real shame to part the drivers from those gorgeous cabinets.

Bob, have you tried completely rearranging the furniture orientation in the room?

The reason I ask is because I saw your room diagram from earlier in the thread and (except for room height) it is similar to my room. When I had furniture and speakers arranged as you have on your room map, I was getting too much reflection from the right side of the room which messed up imaging and soundstage to a certain extent. I recently rearranged the room and things have improved very much. New amplification helped a lot too.

PS as you might guess from my avatar, I have the same speakers as you have.

I need some advise on driver choice.

Is it possible to use CHR70.3 in the microtower or is there too much
difference with the original CHR70 and am I better off using EL70. (which
I still can get where I live)

The amplifier I use is a t-amp 2021B (13Watts at 8Ω).

Leo

thanks Dave,
I'm going to see if I can get the EL70; Dutch importer (Juoiga) and Rumoh still
have it listed. If they're out of stock I can switch to CHR.

Leo

Depending on which driver you select, pay attention to the impedance - I'm running EL70s in series in my own Castles (planning to be gifted to mom for her 80th birthday - it's from her that I inherited my love for music, so it's only fair) - the latest generation of CHR & CHPs are 7.2 ohms at their minimum, so most amps should have no issues with them in parallel.

Having enjoyed these enclosures for 2yrs or so now, I can concur that the EL70 brings a lot to the table - particularly in this design, bass weight and extension that belies the driver and enclosure size.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.