microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vents aren't occluded?

dave

No, free to breathe. I tried rocking the speaker on one edge when laying flat on the granite. This didn't make any noticeable difference to the bass.

BaseMedium.jpg

I would try just connecting one driver in one cabinet and turning your balance control to that side and see what happens. If still no bass try connecting the other driver in that cabinet by itself. Have you tried that amp to your other pair of speakers recently?

Hi Jim

Yes, my other speakers are currently fine with regards to bass.

I will disconnect one of the speakers today and test.

Merry Christmas Guys

I trimmed the sides and added the vents/feet to the case. The vent jig worked a treat.

Feet.jpg

I've just hooked them up again but its pretty much the same, maybe slightly better. I cant think of anything else...well apart from an air leak. I'll have another go during the hols and report back.

Have a good time! :)

Tripmaster, et al...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all. Else Happy Holidays if you prefer (Hannukah, Kwanzaa, or whatever else is your holiday this time of year).

Tripmaster: Besides the steps that you have already suggested or have agreed could be done, please paint the inside of your enclosure. One of the most convenient and quickest methods to help seal "leaky" (as in MDF, HDF , chip board and regular plywood) enclosures. If you used an open cell type foam for the gasket(s) replace them with something more like compressed EVA material. Not sure how readily available it is, but I am sure it must be available as a tape or similar someplace.

But tonight just forget about it all and enjoy the evening.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all. Else Happy Holidays if you prefer (Hannukah, Kwanzaa, or whatever else is your holiday this time of year).

Tripmaster: Besides the steps that you have already suggested or have agreed could be done, please paint the inside of your enclosure. One of the most convenient and quickest methods to help seal "leaky" (as in MDF, HDF , chip board and regular plywood) enclosures. If you used an open cell type foam for the gasket(s) replace them with something more like compressed EVA material. Not sure how readily available it is, but I am sure it must be available as a tape or similar someplace.

Will do. I will leave the painting as a last resort as its will get a bit messy ripping out the stuffing. The seal is made of rubber, rather than spongy foam. I will hunt out the packaging and check the material.

...anyway, I think another mince pie is in order!

Have a good day!

Hi Nanook

I hope you had a good Christmas.

I have a tub of PVA that is a few years old, and I prefer using other brands now. As I will need to reattached the lining to the cabinet sides, how about mixing up a thinned PVA solution, paint the inside and reattach the wadding...kills two birds with one stone I guess.

thinned PVA...

Tripmaster:Thanks for the X-mas wishes. I can't imagine why it would not work if you are willing to pull out the stuffing. This is one of my pet peaves. MDF chipboard and even HDF "chuff". I don't wan to start another pro BB ply thread or hijack this one. Either do as you suggested or paint the interior of the enclosure using a spray can, either one will be an improvement and(I think) will be enough to improve your enclosures.

Happy New Year to all

Room placement question

I will be moving to a new apartment in a couple of months and am starting to think about the placement of my castle microTowers. Obviously, I'll have to wait until I get there are start to play with the exact placement but I am somewhat constrained as to where they can go.

Below is a floor plan that shows the approximate relationship of the speakers (red dots) to the sofa (brown rectangle). The small blue rectangle is a radiator. The dark red rectangle is my source/amp table. The room is 14' wide and has an 11' ceiling. I won't be able to spread the speakers out more than 8 -9' apart because the dining table, etc need to live in the other part of the room.

My question is - how far out from the wall can I bring the castles before I start losing/defeating the effect of the top speaker? Is 18" too much or is this so room dependent that I'll just have to wait until I get everything in place? I have a small sub woofer to fill the bottom end if needed so I am less worried about bass than detail, sound stage, and overall imaging.

speakers.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.