microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dave. I am certainly one of those who has made enclosures out of MDF, "ordinary" particle board and flooring grade particle board. I've enjoyed the results from all of them, especially the G Chang. If I had been given the opportunity to listen side by side with any one of them to identical enclosures made from good quality ply, then I may well have been disappointed with my man made board builds. That has never happened, nor is it likely to happen so I will probably go on enjoying them. Much better that than nothing.

My First DIY Speakers are done

:grouphug: Well, thank you Dave, Chris and all for your support. :cheers:

I tested my MicroTowers last Sunday and man O man O man they sound good!:crazy:

I installed them on top of the old Vintage Cerwin Vega (CV) of my father, unplug the CV and tested the Microtowers. :innocent: My father did not believed that I unpluged the CV, the bass was so rich!

And the sound overall was so good, bass, mid and high.:violin: All from these tiny 4 inches CHR70 drivers and small towers! Even my wife loves them!

Really guys as a first build, you were right on spot :bullseye: with this model, I recommend this to anyone: easy and great sound.

Thanks Dave. I am certainly one of those who has made enclosures out of MDF, "ordinary" particle board and flooring grade particle board. I've enjoyed the results from all of them, especially the G Chang. If I had been given the opportunity to listen side by side with any one of them to identical enclosures made from good quality ply, then I may well have been disappointed with my man made board builds. That has never happened, nor is it likely to happen so I will probably go on enjoying them. Much better that than nothing.

well, plywood is a man-made board

well, plywood is a man-made board

True, just the method of putting the original materials together varies and also the type and treatment of those materials before they are processed. A shame that there is such a wide difference in price here between ply and particle board and MDF. We pay about $168 for top grade ply against $50 for the other two. If I could see myself never making another set of speaker enclosures, then I would buy ply next time around, but with Scottmoose, Dave and Mark churning out so many temptations, that is not likely. I can ressit anything but temptation.

True, just the method of putting the original materials together varies and also the type and treatment of those materials before they are processed.

yup, every product made or touched by man has the variability that comes by, well, being made or touched.....

but with Scottmoose, Dave and Mark churning out so many temptations, that is not likely. I can resist anything but temptation.

thankfully I only need to prototype about 10% of the designs for proof of concept - and so far very few have not passed that test

Hi Dave

I am planning to make a pair of these for a friend.

Castle1.jpg

You mentioned some of these designs need to be pulled out quite far from a rear wall. Does this still apply to the 'Castle' style cabinet?

He has just moved in to a new house and I haven't had chance to see his room.

* He's just emailed me and says he could allow 20mm from the wall, maybe less. Not much :rolleyes:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was just over at Chris' the other WE setting up his wireless. We listened to the EL70 castles. He has moved things around so that they are ~ 15cm out from the wall firing towards the (now much more open) kitchen. Driven by the 3W Class A EL84 PP they are really good. I'm still dumbfounded by the quality, quantity & reach of the bass.

With only 20 mm you might want to tilt the top forward a bit.

dave

I meant to type 20cm...Lets just hope I dont make that error when cutting :D

Thanks for the info Dave. I'll start building next week! :)

This may have already been noted, or seem self-evident to some, but with a thickly carpeted floor (as in my own case), it would be worth considering raising the clearance below the bottom firing port (by increasing the length of side panels by at least 3/4" / 19mm) , or mounting the enclosures on a thick tile or marble/granite slab.

Could I use the paper cone CHP-70 in a 'castle' Microtower? They are cheaper over here than the EL-70 and the specs don't look too different. Would it just be a case of experimenting with the port dimensions?

Dave could confirm if he's done that particular math, but my intuition is that the CHPs would work admirably - I wouldn't mind getting my hand on a pair to verify that :D. Over the years we've built enough prototypes that were slightly off spec due to combination of errors or confusion on drawings or cutting/assembly mistakes - but that still sounded just fine - to observe that certain types of designs are more "compliant" than others.

Well there's currently a very good offer on them this side of the pond at Blue Planet Acoustic. :)

Thanks, but the trip is the same length and probably expense in either direction, and there's a more than adequate supply of EL70 (those I know work quite well) on hand at CSS - a much smaller body of water away :)

My earlier comment was just a case of wistful thinking - "how close are they?"

Last edited:
Dave, could you please answer a couple questions.
I used your port equation for halfTower and I get values different than your proposed for CHR-70. Is that equation correct? What value for Vb did you use? Fb is 42Hz, right?
What can I expect if I enlarge port diameter and keep Fb the same?
Will the speaker with port cross-section equal to box cross-section still be ML-TL?

Thanks,
Damir

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.