microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2009, 07:12 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

The length I gave is tuned to 44.5hz. So, I make it higher, or match the 41hz of the Micro Tower? I think I see. 31" means 41hz, so, 29" means about say, 47hz. This is still 5.5" for a 3". So, maybe I can't get length from Unibox because it ignores the boost??

So , do I go less than the 4", or say 3.75".
Old 11th October 2009, 08:55 PM   #82
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

ML-TLs are pretty tolerant.... you could start with the port sticking outside the box and keep trimming till it was right, then fix it into the box permanently

dave
Old 26th November 2009, 02:08 PM   #83
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for -- glad I asked the question. Tday today, so I'll have to come back and take a much closer look and print all this out.

I actually used to sell EPI speakers when I was younger, working in electronics retail and familiar with those microtowers.

I owned a pair of EPI 602's which were like a Bose901 (yuk) in appearance but sounded much better then the Bose.

Although the 602 reflected too much (and were rather "boomy), I have always liked the added dimension and sound stage of a speaker that had some reflected audio. (I know, purists would argue). BUT, that's the problem with speakers if you ask me.

When the image is so precise and phase coherent blah blah -- you are listening to SPEAKERS -- and fact is, the more precise this image, the more listener fatigue you have. (If you ask me).

It's like the great painters.

In my opinion, the impressionists are what it's all about -- no hard edges.

There is another speaker I ran across that is like this (Lowther 2.8 ambience?) -- is anyone familiar with these?

Also, what is the opinion on a rear firing vs top? Of course, if it's rear you would want the speakers away from the wall more. (I've also seen an angled top speaker).

I really want to do it right the first time and build the best sounding pair I can.

I do have a monomix subwoofer I may use as well.
Old 26th November 2009, 02:53 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Not where I intended my reply to be --

jmar
Old 26th November 2009, 06:36 PM   #85
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post

snip..

Also, what is the opinion on a rear firing vs top? Of course, if it's rear you would want the speakers away from the wall more. (I've also seen an angled top speaker).

As you might have gathered, we built a pair of each the Castle tops and more "conventional" bipoles. It's not an entirely valid assessment between the two, as we used EL70 (paper) in the former and CHR70 (metal) in the latter, but for my particularly application, the Castles work very well indeed. Domestic factors preclude the accommodation of bipoles for me.

Quote:
I really want to do it right the first time and build the best sounding pair I can.
admirable intent - good luck with that but I suspect that even if you do succeed, you'll be tempted not to stop with a single pair

at least not if your "friends" here have anything to do with it

Quote:

I do have a monomix subwoofer I may use as well.
well, depending on your application / inclinations, you might not need much boost with these "little" guys.
Old 27th November 2009, 02:20 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

I like the angled Castle idea -- I would imagine slightly better highs?

A more interesting reverberation?

Those CHR70 drivers are certainly fairly priced -- sounds like for this box not a whole lot of difference between those and the EL70?
Old 27th November 2009, 03:11 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

The angled configuration is closer to the old bd-design 103 pipe than anything Castle built. Castle used the forward & upward firing layout on the Harlech and Howard S3.

No, likely to have poorer HF.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 27th November 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 27th November 2009, 03:20 PM   #88
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having built a pair of the Harlech style cabs based on the microtower, I can whole heartily concur with Scotts comments there be no loss of HF. They are a stunning performer with the CHR70 drivers. Several mates have been round my place to listen to them and all are amazed the performance from these little drivers. And there is no shortage of bass either.
Old 27th November 2009, 03:32 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I'm getting a bit lost on this -- what are the "Harlech" cabinets?
Old 27th November 2009, 03:37 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

the Harlech is the ceiling firing arrangement?

Hide this!Advertise here!