Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2017, 03:50 AM   #631
samsagaz is offline samsagaz  Argentina
diyAudio Member

26 tweeters?

Thanks guys for your time...
Old 14th May 2017, 04:49 PM   #632
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Model number of a budget soft dome marketed by CSS a few years ago, built by Mark Audio - ERT26 . Along with either a single or dual CHBW70s, or Bob's own WR125 ST XBL motored drivers, make for quite a nice little system.
Old 5th May 2018, 05:21 PM   #633
canibefrank is offline canibefrank  Colombia
diyAudio Member

does anybody have a cut-sheet or definate dimensions for a castle enclosure with the slanted (10 degrees?) top? I think this is what i would like to build but it would be helpful if I had cut-sheet dimensions as these are going to a wood supplier for all vertical cuts...then i take to carpenter for holes and bevels...
also... any affordable amplifier recommendations?
Old 5th May 2018, 06:48 PM   #634
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have never done complete drawings for the low slope castle. The sides and back will need to be a bit longer (but that won’t affect your vertical cuts, and the top will be the same width as the front or the sides depending on how you over-lie the panels (Chris would build with the top inset between the front/back and side panels). A slanetd top will be slightly longer than a flat-top.

dave
Old 5th May 2018, 11:56 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have never done complete drawings for the low slope castle. The sides and back will need to be a bit longer (but that wonít affect your vertical cuts, and the top will be the same width as the front or the sides depending on how you over-lie the panels (Chris would build with the top inset between the front/back and side panels). A slanetd top will be slightly longer than a flat-top.

dave
dave, thanks so much for the response. my question then, is this:

if I am sitting in a 3 meter X 3 meter X 10 meter long concrete room, is the forward tilt of the top speaker necessary? I will probably always sit within 2 - 3 meters from the speakers.
Old 6th May 2018, 12:31 AM   #636
diyAudio Member

it would make me life a wee bit simpler to make the Castle enclosures a ractangular box
Old 6th May 2018, 01:15 AM   #637
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Well, Iíve built at least 4 pairs so far - a current build for personal use is far enough from Daveís original plans that it probably deserves its own name ( 2.5 way with pair of CSS VWR 126 & Hi-Vi soft dome tweeter TN25) - but Iíve definitely found that the angled forward top is well worth the extra bit of work. My various blatherings in that regard shouldnít be hard to find here.

If you can wait until early next week, I should be able to resurrect the cut plan for the last two pairs.

Three and 1/2 questions:
Would this be a hand-bomb job, or for CNC? That will affect how tightly nested the parts can be on the sheet.
Type of joinery? Butt, dadoed with front & backs inset - my personal favourite, or 45 bevels / lock mitre? Iím too impatient for those
What size sheet material?

I exclusively use and recommend BB ply or the local equivalent - depending on your supply source, those may be offered as 5X5 ft or 4x8 ft sheets. Assuming such material, and as itís my own little peccadillo - and even though I usually veneer cabinets after assembly - I normally layout for grain figuring to run long - i.e. vertical on the sides / back & front
Old 6th May 2018, 03:44 PM   #638
diyAudio Member

Hi chrisb:

Quote:
Three and 1/2 questions:
Would this be a hand-bomb job, or for CNC? That will affect how tightly nested the parts can be on the sheet.
1. hand bomb job... they will cut the horizontal and vertical cuts at the lumber yard...only square pieces.

Quote:
Type of joinery? Butt, dadoed with front & backs inset - my personal favourite, or 45 bevels / lock mitre? I’m too impatient for those
2. I think dado with front and back inset. I see a hand router in my future.

Quote:
What size sheet material?
3. I am not sure yet... I was at the lumber yard yesterday and looking for MDF. They have the 18mm 183x244 and 215 x 244 sheets
I will look for the 11 ply Birch and confirm this week.
Old 6th May 2018, 07:54 PM   #639
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

MDF should be your last choice.

dave
Old 6th May 2018, 08:30 PM   #640
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
MDF should be your last choice.

dave
yes, i reread the the MT threads and see that now... I will get decent plywoods

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70Hide this!Advertise here!