microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 12:01 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

What about the speaker drivers alone (no cabs)? A guy has to ask :-) I'd make it worth the stroll to the post office :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrancho View Post
Sorry, Pop, but I'm just not equipped to properly pack them for shipment across the country, nor do I have the means to then transport them to the local UPS/FEDEX depots. I'm a city boy now and gave up my car(s).

This has to be a (no cash) and carry deal.

The major reason I moved back to NYC was to be near my daughter and grand-daughter. Now there's a grandson due any time now so my wife and I are on call for the next few weeks for childcare duties. I need to make this as simple as possible.

BTW - to make it more clear - these are up for adoption, I'm not selling them. They are free to whomever wants to come and get them.

Bob
Old 6th February 2013, 01:25 PM   #492
diyAudio Member

It'd be a real shame to part the drivers from those gorgeous cabinets.

Bob, have you tried completely rearranging the furniture orientation in the room?

The reason I ask is because I saw your room diagram from earlier in the thread and (except for room height) it is similar to my room. When I had furniture and speakers arranged as you have on your room map, I was getting too much reflection from the right side of the room which messed up imaging and soundstage to a certain extent. I recently rearranged the room and things have improved very much. New amplification helped a lot too.

PS as you might guess from my avatar, I have the same speakers as you have.
Old 6th February 2013, 01:55 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

I'd really rather not separate the drivers, either.

I am very limited in my furniture arrangement. WAF is very big here.

I reversed the layout from the one I diagrammed originally, so the reflective wall is to the left, but the issue is the same as yours. I really believe that the 11' ceiling plays a big part here with the upward firing driver and the fact that there are wall deflections as high up as 10'. I have a large handmade quilt hanging behind the sofa and placed some large throw pillows across the back for serious listening. Bass is pretty contained and clear. There is a 9x6 oriental rug directly in front of the speakers. But there is no way in hell that I will be putting any acoustic materials on the ceiling or upper walls.

Changing out my Prima Luna Prologue 2 amp is not in the cards. It's a very sweet piece of kit.

I got a good deal on a pair of discontinued Polk Monitor 30 speakers a month ago that I am using as near field computer monitors. On a whim, I removed the MTs and placed the Polks in their place. The effect was immediate and significant - vastly improved sound stage and detail; very easy to adjust the speaker positions for clear mid-range; and spot-on centering of vocals and discrete instruments. Even my wife, who rarely comments much on these things, came out of the kitchen to sit down on the couch and say" Wow, these sound so much better!"

So, I'm getting a new (better) pair of book shelf speakers. They are ordered and will arrive next week.

If no one on this board comes forward to claim them, I'll probably offer them to the other residents and maintenance staff here in my coop building. Only if I get no takers will I consider removing the drivers.

The funny thing is that I built these specifically to have smaller speakers (than my Half Changs) for my move to an apartment. Unfortunately, I didn't know then that the housing crunch would enable me to afford a nice, pre-war apartment with tall ceilings. Had I known, I would probably have chosen a more direct firing design like the Fonkens or Frugal Horns. Truthfully, I'm happy trading my MTs for a great apartment find in Brooklyn.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
It'd be a real shame to part the drivers from those gorgeous cabinets.

Bob, have you tried completely rearranging the furniture orientation in the room?

The reason I ask is because I saw your room diagram from earlier in the thread and (except for room height) it is similar to my room. When I had furniture and speakers arranged as you have on your room map, I was getting too much reflection from the right side of the room which messed up imaging and soundstage to a certain extent. I recently rearranged the room and things have improved very much. New amplification helped a lot too.

PS as you might guess from my avatar, I have the same speakers as you have.
Old 6th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #494
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bob, be a good idea to put your offer into the Swap Meet for more traffic.

dave
Old 6th February 2013, 06:01 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Bob, be a good idea to put your offer into the Swap Meet for more traffic.

dave
Old 7th February 2013, 05:11 AM   #496
leo2 is offline leo2  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I need some advise on driver choice.

Is it possible to use CHR70.3 in the microtower or is there too much
difference with the original CHR70 and am I better off using EL70. (which
I still can get where I live)

The amplifier I use is a t-amp 2021B (13Watts at 8Ω).

Leo
Old 7th February 2013, 06:10 AM   #497
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The new CHR works fine. If you can still get some EL70 (of gen 1 CHP) i personally find them preferable.

RumoH - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers

dave
Old 7th February 2013, 08:20 AM   #498
leo2 is offline leo2  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

thanks Dave,
I'm going to see if I can get the EL70; Dutch importer (Juoiga) and Rumoh still
have it listed. If they're out of stock I can switch to CHR.

Leo
Old 7th February 2013, 05:50 PM   #499
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2 View Post
thanks Dave,
I'm going to see if I can get the EL70; Dutch importer (Juoiga) and Rumoh still
have it listed. If they're out of stock I can switch to CHR.

Leo

Depending on which driver you select, pay attention to the impedance - I'm running EL70s in series in my own Castles (planning to be gifted to mom for her 80th birthday - it's from her that I inherited my love for music, so it's only fair) - the latest generation of CHR & CHPs are 7.2 ohms at their minimum, so most amps should have no issues with them in parallel.

Having enjoyed these enclosures for 2yrs or so now, I can concur that the EL70 brings a lot to the table - particularly in this design, bass weight and extension that belies the driver and enclosure size.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:40 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

...especially with the right amp!

Hide this!Advertise here!