microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2009, 03:32 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Lol ^^^
Old 29th August 2009, 06:02 AM   #42
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
Lol ^^^

which?

"you talking to me?"

life's too short, and so am I
Old 31st August 2009, 05:50 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

:snarky: - hmm, no emoticon for that, well hows snooty

LOL....
Old 1st September 2009, 04:49 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I think I'm going to have to build a set of these. Hmmmm, next week?
Old 1st September 2009, 05:58 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
I think I'm going to have to build a set of these. Hmmmm, next week?

It's kinda apples and oranges for us to compare our two build versions, as we used 3 different driver types on hand (i.e. CHR70 "gold" and "grey" for the bipoles, and EL70s for the "castles"), but I definitely liked the spacious soundstage, as well as placement flexibility of the latter.

Mine are placed on a thick carpet, which prevents the bottom firing port from breathing properly, and I ended up placing on a 1" thick slab of synthetic granite countertop. It couldn't hurt to add and inch or so to overall height to allow increase to the bottom cutout, or mount on an additional wood plate, as I think Dave shows in one of his 3-D visualizations. (much like the original EPI MicroTower II)

With the appropriate adjustments in port dimensions, either driver should work equally well in either version. Just remember that unless you're certain of your amp's ability to drive low impedance (i.e. under 2 ohms), to either wire in series, or use one channel of amplifier per driver.

Honestly, with the price of some of the decent sounding digital amps these days, that's not as costly as it sounds ( more than a few of us have more invested in bling-bling RCA connectors on our patch cords than a pair of Trends or certainly DIY chip amps )
Old 1st September 2009, 06:14 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
It's kinda apples and oranges for us to compare our two build versions, as we used 3 different driver types on hand (i.e. CHR70 "gold" and "grey" for the bipoles, and EL70s for the "castles"), but I definitely liked the spacious soundstage, as well as placement flexibility of the latter.

Mine are placed on a thick carpet, which prevents the bottom firing port from breathing properly, and I ended up placing on a 1" thick slab of synthetic granite countertop. It couldn't hurt to add and inch or so to overall height to allow increase to the bottom cutout, or mount on an additional wood plate, as I think Dave shows in one of his 3-D visualizations. (much like the original EPI MicroTower II)

With the appropriate adjustments in port dimensions, either driver should work equally well in either version. Just remember that unless you're certain of your amp's ability to drive low impedance (i.e. under 2 ohms), to either wire in series, or use one channel of amplifier per driver.

Honestly, with the price of some of the decent sounding digital amps these days, that's not as costly as it sounds ( more than a few of us have more invested in bling-bling RCA connectors on our patch cords than a pair of Trends or certainly DIY chip amps )
Maybe use a 4*100W class-D Amplifier Board like this one?

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board 4*100W class-D Amplifier Board
Old 1st September 2009, 09:27 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Dave, the BD pipe style with the slanted top, the slant is intended to face the rear wall I'm assuming?
Old 1st September 2009, 10:21 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmark59 View Post
Maybe use a 4*100W class-D Amplifier Board like this one?

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board 4*100W class-D Amplifier Board

as long as it doesn't sound hurtful, it certainly looks like a great candidate
Old 1st September 2009, 10:34 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
as long as it doesn't sound hurtful, it certainly looks like a great candidate
Yeah I know what you mean. The first ones had some quality problems and had some "excessive noise" problems, but their newer 2 channel 100 watt amplifier seems to be getting some good press and DIYer are also liking it. I'm just hoping that the 4*100w amp maintains the same quality.

I do really like the idea of one channel per speaker and feel the D class amps would really do well in powering the newer MarkAudio drivers even though they are not as efficient as some full range drivers.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:38 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
Dave, the BD pipe style with the slanted top, the slant is intended to face the rear wall I'm assuming?

Depending on the angle of slant and proximity to wall, I'd be inclined to try them firing forward. Since this series was essentially an homage to the EPI Microtower series of the 70's, this forward firing orientation would emulate that of the Model 201 -

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi201.htm

except for the artifacts created by the extended side panels, this was my favorite of the early dual module 200 series - I never did get a chance to hear all the later Epicure series, on one of which I think the extension to side panels on this format was eliminated

Hide this!Advertise here!