Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2012, 07:03 AM   #481
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply ChrisB. I built push - push configured enclosures with the two EL70s in each, but after trying them in the Windermere enclosures, preferred that configuration. There seemed to be more "bite" (my term, not so technical) to the sound.
Old 6th June 2012, 04:08 PM   #482
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
Thanks for the reply ChrisB. I built push - push configured enclosures with the two EL70s in each, but after trying them in the Windermere enclosures, preferred that configuration. There seemed to be more "bite" (my term, not so technical) to the sound.

What I particularly like about the "castle" (up-firing second driver) configuration is the combination of excellent bass response (most particularly with the EL70), spacious soundstage and ease of placement in compact footprint that passes the "Sue" test.
Old 6th June 2012, 04:46 PM   #483
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
Sorry Dave, I thought that all the same sized enclosures, regardless of the speaker placement position were called Castle. I had thought of placing one speaker facing up and the other on the baffle, but liking the sound of the Windermere with both speakers facing forward, thought I could do the same with this enclosure. Not so? The holey brace placement would be more straight forward with both facing forward, but I can at this stage still put one on top.
If placed both on the front, get them as close together as possible and pushed up as high as is reasonable. Note that you won't get any BSC with this config.

dave
Old 11th June 2012, 06:45 AM   #484
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Chrisb. I'm still tossing up whether to go with both speakers on the front or your way. Construction has come to a halt at the moment so I have a week or two before I commit myself to making the speaker apertures.
Old 11th June 2012, 06:52 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If placed both on the front, get them as close together as possible and pushed up as high as is reasonable. Note that you won't get any BSC with this config.

dave
Thanks Dave. I'm still tossing up which way to go.
Old 11th June 2012, 02:25 PM   #486
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default What's the "Sue test"? ;)

I know the "Laura Test" well, but the "Sue Test"? Methinks there exists a conspiracy to take over the world...

Even if not for the WAF appeal, the benefits are as Dave states. As an owner of genuine Castle loudspeakers (alas not the Howards, Winchesters, etc), all Castle loudspeakers have this in spades. But the "double tuned" TLs sound mighty impressive (or did last time I heard some). Not the most "transparent" sounding but very musical with a slightly veiled mid-range. If I could have afforded them, I'd have bought a pair instead of the Durham 900s (which ain't no slouch either for a small-ish bookshelf). The Castle TLs would be a great match for slightly hot sounding electronics.

If the CHR/EL 70 family of Castle style micro-towers are deemed a touch bright (compared to the originals) that would be a good thing IMHO. For clarification: I'm not suggesting that the CHR/EL-70 family are bright.
Old 11th June 2012, 04:04 PM   #487
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I know the "Laura Test" well, but the "Sue Test"? Methinks there exists a conspiracy to take over the world...
well how about a translation "those look nice, where were you thinking of putting them?" = "not in my room you don't"

"I like those" = "those will look good in my room"

kinda like

"we'll see" = "do it yourself"

Quote:

If the CHR/EL 70 family of Castle style micro-towers are deemed a touch bright (compared to the originals) that would be a good thing IMHO. For clarification: I'm not suggesting that the CHR/EL-70 family are bright.
CHR70's are not bright so much as more finely detailed and extended at the very top, and not as weighty in the bottom as the ELs

TheCHP70.2 is definitely softer on the top than either .
Old 5th February 2013, 10:39 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Home wanted for my CSS EL-70 microTower Castles.

After trying all sorts of things to get my MTs to image properly in my new apartment, (see my previous post) I've come to the conclusion that the 11' ceiling and open floor plan into the kitchen have conspired to defeat me. Without serious (and definitely wife unacceptable) room correction measures, they just don't fit.

Coupled with a lack of access to a woodshop, I've decided to forego the DIY for my next speakers and buy a pair of good bookshelfs (on stands).

I'm putting my MTs up for adoption to anyone in the NYC area who is willing to come and get them. (Here they are when new - They've darkened a bit, as cherry always does, and I've added adjustable felt feet). I no longer have a car so you will have to drive in to Brooklyn to get them, but I'm directly across the street from the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so you can make a day of it if you're so inclined. Great restaurants in the area, too.

If you are interested, please PM me or email btrancho at gmail.com and we will set something up. This is somewhat time sensitive as I have little room to store extra speakers for very long.

They are very sweet little speakers and deserve a good home.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:10 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

OMG, figures I'm in Oregon. That said, I would gladly pay you for the speakers + shipping. If interested, email and I would send Paypal, check, Visa, money order, carrier pigeon, whatever you prefer.

Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrancho View Post
Home wanted for my CSS EL-70 microTower Castles.

After trying all sorts of things to get my MTs to image properly in my new apartment, (see my previous post) I've come to the conclusion that the 11' ceiling and open floor plan into the kitchen have conspired to defeat me. Without serious (and definitely wife unacceptable) room correction measures, they just don't fit.

Coupled with a lack of access to a woodshop, I've decided to forego the DIY for my next speakers and buy a pair of good bookshelfs (on stands).

I'm putting my MTs up for adoption to anyone in the NYC area who is willing to come and get them. (Here they are when new - They've darkened a bit, as cherry always does, and I've added adjustable felt feet). I no longer have a car so you will have to drive in to Brooklyn to get them, but I'm directly across the street from the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so you can make a day of it if you're so inclined. Great restaurants in the area, too.

If you are interested, please PM me or email btrancho at gmail.com and we will set something up. This is somewhat time sensitive as I have little room to store extra speakers for very long.

They are very sweet little speakers and deserve a good home.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:36 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Sorry, Pop, but I'm just not equipped to properly pack them for shipment across the country, nor do I have the means to then transport them to the local UPS/FEDEX depots. I'm a city boy now and gave up my car(s).

This has to be a (no cash) and carry deal.

The major reason I moved back to NYC was to be near my daughter and grand-daughter. Now there's a grandson due any time now so my wife and I are on call for the next few weeks for childcare duties. I need to make this as simple as possible.

BTW - to make it more clear - these are up for adoption, I'm not selling them. They are free to whomever wants to come and get them.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpopgun View Post
OMG, figures I'm in Oregon. That said, I would gladly pay you for the speakers + shipping. If interested, email and I would send Paypal, check, Visa, money order, carrier pigeon, whatever you prefer.

Pop

Last edited by bobtrancho; 5th February 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!