microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 07:16 PM   #471
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Robert,

How many plys in the plywood?

Except for issues with driver rebates, 12mm, with maximum bracing, would be fine, if the ply is of sufficient quality -- we have a pair of subwoofers (push-push SDX10) here that we did in 15mm BB just to see how far the concept can be taken (waiting for the 4 channel amp)

The act of adding an addiitonal layer will push you towards a higher quality material if done right (and with a press sounds like you are).

One ofmy gurus did extensive research into materials. He found that he wasn't happy with MDF, but very happy with a board he made from 7 layers of 1/8" MDF (he used a 10 ton press).

dave
Old 17th May 2012, 07:43 PM   #472
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
One ofmy gurus did extensive research into materials. He found that he wasn't happy with MDF, but very happy with a board he made from 7 layers of 1/8" MDF (he used a 10 ton press).

dave
Very interesting. So layers count!
Old 18th May 2012, 05:29 AM   #473
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Robert,

How many plys in the plywood?

Except for issues with driver rebates, 12mm, with maximum bracing, would be fine, if the ply is of sufficient quality -- we have a pair of subwoofers (push-push SDX10) here that we did in 15mm BB just to see how far the concept can be taken (waiting for the 4 channel amp)

The act of adding an addiitonal layer will push you towards a higher quality material if done right (and with a press sounds like you are).

dave
There are 5 plys in the 12mm board and 3 in each of the 3mm. If I decide to go with the ply I will put the 3mm on both sides of the 12mm, to balance it. That will also give me a little more depth to play with when rebating for the speakers. I will also work to interior dimensions that you show for the enclosures, so the additional thickness of the sides won't make for a smaller enclosure. Robert.
Old 18th May 2012, 06:24 AM   #474
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you have the press, i'd be tempted to just lay up 5 thicknesses of the 3mm...

The local Home Despot sells some 3/4" with 5 plies...

BB has 9 in 12mm, the new Murphy ply we are using likley more -- the 15 (13 plies) & 18 (15? plies) both do.

the triple laminate should be good, the dissimilar material in the middle will go a long way to increasing the damping.

dave
Old 21st May 2012, 05:02 AM   #475
diyAudio Member

Dave I have more confidence in getting a decent job with the 12 ply centre and 3mm ply on either side than glueing five of the 3mm plies into one. I've tried doing that on another job and found the resulting piece was somewhat warped. Possibly something to do with the fact that the ply is not top quality (hence its price). Plantation grown pine can do strange things when wet! I've used 12mm particle board with 3mm ply on either side without any problems, so would hope that the 12mm ply centre would be the same.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:23 AM   #476
diyAudio Member

Dave. I'm part way thro' the build but am undecided about speaker placement. I rather like my Windermere placement of two EL70s facing outwards. If I do that with the Castles, how far apart should the speakers be on the forward facing baffle and how should the damping be fastened? Is a curtain from top to bottom, suspended diagonally OK? Should the bare inside faces also be covered? Thanks.
Old 5th June 2012, 05:25 PM   #477
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Robert,

I don't get your question. The Castle is the arrangement of 1 driver on the front, the other on the top.

I like to line the panels in the vicinity of the driver, the diagonal curtain of ~3" insulation is a good starting point for damping.

dave
Old 5th June 2012, 06:11 PM   #478
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
Dave. I'm part way thro' the build but am undecided about speaker placement. I rather like my Windermere placement of two EL70s facing outwards. If I do that with the Castles, how far apart should the speakers be on the forward facing baffle and how should the damping be fastened? Is a curtain from top to bottom, suspended diagonally OK? Should the bare inside faces also be covered? Thanks.
Quote:
Robert,

I don't get your question. The Castle is the arrangement of 1 driver on the front, the other on the top.

I like to line the panels in the vicinity of the driver, the diagonal curtain of ~3" insulation is a good starting point for damping.

dave

Robert - the other variation of the dual driver MT enclosures that we've built to date is the "true" bipole - 2 drivers in push/push configuration opposite sides. Each format has its advantages, but for ease of placement and spacious soundstage, I quite prefer the "castle" version. Of course we used CHR70s in the bipole, and dual EL70s in an MLTL certainly punch further above their weight class in the low frequency department than the CHRs. .
Old 5th June 2012, 06:19 PM   #479
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Robert - the other variation of the dual driver MT enclosures that we've built to date is the "true" bipole - 2 drivers in push/push configuration opposite sides. Each format has its advantages, but for ease of placement and spacious soundstage, I quite prefer the "castle" version. Of course we used CHR70s in the bipole, and dual EL70s in an MLTL certainly punch further above their weight class in the low frequency department than the CHRs. .
Soon to be reborn with CHP7-.2 + ERT26 tweeters, a MicroTower II as it were.

dave
Old 6th June 2012, 06:56 AM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Robert,

dave
Sorry Dave, I thought that all the same sized enclosures, regardless of the speaker placement position were called Castle. I had thought of placing one speaker facing up and the other on the baffle, but liking the sound of the Windermere with both speakers facing forward, thought I could do the same with this enclosure. Not so? The holey brace placement would be more straight forward with both facing forward, but I can at this stage still put one on top.

Hide this!Advertise here!