microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2012, 02:25 AM   #461
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

11' ceiling, nice

Should be interesting. That 1 factor is going to mess with anyone's guesses.

Quote:
have to wait until I get everything in place
dave
Old 7th February 2012, 03:33 AM   #462
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
11' ceiling, nice

Should be interesting. That 1 factor is going to mess with anyone's guesses.

dave
I figured that would make things a bit more interesting. Probably better than my current situation.

I am temporarily in a top floor loft apartment in an old converted mill with 16' ceilings. The wall where the speakers are placed right now tilts inward at about 20 and has two 8' tall garret windows. At one point when fooling around with speaker placement it sounded like Diana Krall was singing from the next room.

But in general, does the castle design limit distance from the wall?

(and everyone please note - due to WAF there will be no acoustic treatments other than normal furniture and art hanging on the walls in the new place.)
Old 7th February 2012, 03:36 AM   #463
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrancho View Post
... with 16' ceilings
I see a projector and big screen in your future, speakers to go with
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th February 2012, 03:43 AM   #464
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrancho View Post
But in general, does the castle design limit distance from the wall?
I don't think so.

Inmy room, with the speakers undrt a sloped roof, they had to be out a certain minimum distance.

dave
Old 7th February 2012, 06:18 PM   #465
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I don't think so.

Inmy room, with the speakers undrt a sloped roof, they had to be out a certain minimum distance.

dave

In my more conventional room ( 8ft ceiling) , the Castle MTs are about 8" from a the rear wall, flanking a large picture window - so there'll be some diffraction of early rear wall reflections - and about 10 or so degrees of toe-in. The latter is something you'll likely want to play with a bit to dial in the imaging sweet spot.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:59 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

Can I build these as is and use an original quad of EPI drivers as used in the MT-1's?
Old 17th May 2012, 08:00 AM   #467
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Ausie stuffing and ply?

Have any of you Aussies used the 2400 X1200 12mm ply that Bunnings have in stock for $33 a sheet? The surface doesn't look bad at all but the existence of voids I don't know about. I had thought of using it and glueing some of their 3mm ply on both sides to bring it up to useable thickness for a set of Micro Towers. The alternative is to use 12mm particle board with the same 3mm ply glued to both sides. At least it is always void free in my experience.
What about stuffing? Jaycar have some which seems expensive and I don't know if it is OK or not. In the past I have used motor vehicle upholster's padding which seems to my untutored ears to be OK. Any alternatives?
Old 17th May 2012, 10:10 AM   #468
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegazza1 View Post
Can I build these as is and use an original quad of EPI drivers as used in the MT-1's?
Worth a try. You will need to play with the tuning.

Or, if you leave thebottomoff, you have the original MT1

dave
Old 17th May 2012, 10:54 AM   #469
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Robert,

Dave and ChrisB would know better, but both ply and particle board should work. If the ply is "mostly" void free, that should be ok. Gluing another layer of board is a pain, but 12mm is too thin for the Micro Towers. Do you have 18mm material available?

- Zia
Old 17th May 2012, 11:33 AM   #470
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Zia. Thanks for the reply. I don't mind glueing the thinner ply to the 12mm ply. I've done quite a lot of veneering so I have a ready made, substantial veneer press for larger sections and have gone thro' the process with one of Scott's Windermeres. Very heavy when finished! The only 18mm materials here at a reasonable price are particle board and MDF- neither of which seem to be favourably regarded by Scott and Dave. I've used them both in the past but would like to give the ply a try. Robert.

Hide this!Advertise here!