microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2009, 03:08 PM   #91
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
I'm getting a bit lost on this -- what are the "Harlech" cabinets?
Harlech was one of a series of models by a manufacturer named Castle.

http://www.castle.uk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
the Harlech is the ceiling firing arrangement?
yes, one of at least 2 models including an upfiring driver (also included the Howard)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th December 2009, 06:01 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

I've received my drivers from C.S.S. (EL70s), and will be building a pair of the castle style microtowers some day when the weather permits working outside (currently -29').

I would like to modify the design to make it more interesting (to build and to look at), but don't want to do anything that may decrease their performance. Is it simply the internal volume that should remain true to the plans? Are the width and height critical as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'm trying to encourage people to have fun with mutations on these, and bevels or roundovers are a very good one.
I really like the look of beveled speakers, and if they help with the sound? Well that's just a bonus! The micro towers also require legs, to allow room for the down firing port, so if large bevels are being designed in, why not use those pieces for the legs as well? And why not continue the theme up top, to produce a literal "castle". Others may groan at that, but it puts a grin on my face .

Here is a drawing I did, I think it's a pretty cool design aesthetically, and it accomplishes it's task fairly well. It would have two seperate grills, with the castle part on top holding the top grille slightly away from the actual speaker. At the right angle, you would be able to see the actual driver, which I think is kind of neat. The corner pieces could also be finished differently from the rest of the speaker, which would provide nice contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg castle.jpg (60.8 KB, 452 views)
Old 13th December 2009, 06:06 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

P.S. I created that drawing with google sketchup. I just downloaded the program last night and I absolutely love it. I spent most of last night running around the house with a measuring tape, and have so far digitized almost the entire main floor of my house! It's that user friendly!

No, I don't work for google :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house.JPG (129.5 KB, 486 views)
Old 13th December 2009, 06:28 AM   #94
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus bastard View Post
Is it simply the internal volume that should remain true to the plans?
Excellent. Mr Bastard

What is important are the column height & the cross-section.

dave
Old 14th December 2009, 03:11 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

I like that beveled look. If you build them, be sure to post pics and share the plans!
Old 14th December 2009, 05:16 PM   #96
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I like that beveled look. If you build them, be sure to post pics and share the plans!
Cute design - my only concern would be diffraction effects from the extended panels making the side bevels. Perhaps they could be chamfered on the inside?
Old 14th December 2009, 07:51 PM   #97
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been all over the place and seem to be settling on this arrangement --
an upfiring driver.

I love the dimension it adds. (even more than a total omnidirectional).

However, I'm not convinced I can live without the sizzle of my Vifa tweeters.

Here is the latest thing I have in mind --

I saw the Pioneer 8" full range at parts Express and searched it only to find a zillion posts on it in these pages in everything from open baffle to sealed enclosures. (!)

It sounds like what I may be looking for.

I want a full range but with a somewhat diminished high end so that I can use my Vifa tweeter (on the front) -- and not get a conflict and phasing problems with 2 "comparable" high frequency sources coming straight at me.

Perhaps the Pioneer would be a good match because I can also fill my other desire of having a sealed enclosure.

SO -- what about this?

The Castle configuration with 2 Pioneers and my Vifa upfront?

Looks like (from what I've read) the Pioneers do well in a sealed enclosure as small as .75 cu ' (so 1.5 for 2) ?

Sound like the Pioneer has some real fans and those on the other side of the fence.

I do want a very "listenable" non fatiguing speaker and it sounds like that's it's main attribute.

Problem is their high efficiency (94db combined) and I'll end up 4 ohms -- may have to use a different tweeter.

Give me the word and I'll order the Pioneers.

Maybe I should just try one pair in an open baffle first and go from there.

Damn this is crazy -- changing my mind as I speak.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:04 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

just build something!!!! Anything!!!!
Old 14th December 2009, 08:27 PM   #99
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You can always add a tweeter if necessary, but i'd build with the Mark Audios and see... they have outstanding high frequency response (they won't assault your ears like an aluminum Vifa tweeter, but are quite comparable to the better silk domes)

dave
Old 14th December 2009, 08:40 PM   #100
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok aardvark.

I hear ya.

LOL

Hide this!Advertise here!