First speaker project - Audio Nirvana 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Folks,
This is my first post. I registered myself today and already found this nice thread about one of my Wishing List speakers. It is a pleasure to be in this wonderful Forum.
Dear Tuckers,
I have great interesting in this Super15CF fullrange, maybe it can be a good OB FR for me, by the bit I know this is the only 15inches FR in the world at the moment, at least in this price range.
I looks forward to more sound reports of your Super15CF in the future, when the burnin period ended, especially with Classical music.
If you want made a big box for this 15''FR there is a device called VARIOVENT or Aperiodic Vent at http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1323 that ''increase'' the inner volume box, maybe this works for your project. PartsExpress should sell it too.
Regards, Gustavo

The Scan-Speak is just a generic aperiodic / resistive vent; you can make your own rather more cheaply, & have the benefit of being able to optimise it to your specific needs. Main benefit as far as I'm concerned is reducing the impedance peak, & making an easier amplifier load. Damped-vent BR is not to be despised either.
I do not understand correctly, you mean said this Variovent reduce the impedance peak?? If not, how I do to reduce the impedance peak?
Thanks

Correct. It's just a resistive vent for creating an aperiodic (or what in modern parlance is an aperiodic) cabinet. You can do the same thing by drilling a few small holes in the box (or cutting a very thin slot) & damping it with reticulated foam, staple some fiberglass matting across one side of the holes / slot; that sort of thing. Allows you to fine-tune things much more easily. The old Dynaco designs did exactly that: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/dynaco.html

Well, I think I have passed the 200 hour mark with these drivers. And they have continued to refine. That papery quality I was hearing has all but dissapeared, the response from bottom to top is very flat. The sound is incredibly smooth and resolving. I would say that you shouldn't judge them till they have 200 hours on them at least.

I am still interested in trying a supertweeter to see if that brings anything to the party.

I corresponded with the designer of the driver about comments on this thread regarding cabinet size and Q specs. He says that these drivers do extremely well in the right cabinet and produce very high quality bass. He said that Q specs are not useful in designing cabinets for these. He also says that his 5.6 cabinet plans is based on the Altec Lansing Stonehenge III, but that their placement of the port fixes some midbass issues that design had.

He said that running them as an open baffle is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Volkswagon body.

The drivers are on sale this month at 20% off. Doesn't bother me though, I'm very happy with the $400 I spent.

Dear Tuckers, Thankyou for your update on the SUPER15CF. :)
I know the vendor of CommomSense Site is Mr.David Dicks, but I do not know who is the designer. Please, say me who is the designer of this Nirvana drivers?
I prefer a full range OB panel or any dipole speakers, like Magnepan, because of the deep soundstage and all the dipole effect a OB panel have.
There is plenty of expensive better speakers in the market than a boxed FR, the only thing these competidors do not have is Dipole soundstage, they are all monopole/boxed speakers.
The driver backside sound is very important to me, I reject all monopole loudspeaker since 1992 when I listen the Carver Amazing for the first time.
Regards, Gustavo

I corresponded with the designer of the driver about comments on this thread regarding cabinet size and Q specs. He says that these drivers do extremely well in the right cabinet and produce very high quality bass. He said that Q specs are not useful in designing cabinets for these.

Ah. He regards the AN drivers as exempt from the laws of physics then. How interesting. :rolleyes: For reference, a basic Altec BR design approach that has nothing whatsoever to do with T/S parameters (because it predates them by about 3 decades) yeilds a 34.722ft^3 Vb. A Vb = Vas alignment tuned to Fs is about the lowest I'd regard as ~approaching acceptable performance.

He said that running them as an open baffle is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Volkswagon body.

I can't quite see where that anaolgy is coming from; about the only thing it suggests, as far as I can see, is that he doesn't like dipoles (why he has one on his own site is therefore a mystery).

He also says that his 5.6 cabinet plans is based on the Altec Lansing Stonehenge III

And his point is? The AN15CF is not an Altec 604. It's an AN15CF. For e.g., the current GPA 604 has about 1/2 the Vas of the AN driver, and IIRC, most of the original 604s had a rather lower volume compliance too. Ergo, it requires / required and works / worked in, a substantially smaller box volume.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.