Brines FT-1600 Mk2 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I haven't had time to test the amp with the drive units, I should have said. My speakers are a week or two from completion and as the speaker wiring is OK I'll wait until then before retesting.

Do you have an ad in hi-fi news this month?

I'll post a few pictures of the build when I have a moment

Thanks

Richard

Hi

Here are a couple of photos of the cabinets before I apply the the oil.

Front2.jpg

Sidewarm2.jpg

Bob, sorry to cover old ground. Do you apply a wax after the four coats of oil? I was planing to do this but I just wanted to check the silicon would stick to a wax coating.

I have to say I beginning to get quite excited!

Thanks for the help so far :)

Richard

Tripmaster said:
Hi

I haven't had time to test the amp with the drive units, I should have said. My speakers are a week or two from completion and as the speaker wiring is OK I'll wait until then before retesting.

Do you have an ad in hi-fi news this month?

I'll post a few pictures of the build when I have a moment

Thanks

Richard

Patience dear boy...it's not quite two weeks! ;)

I am going to stick the Supra baffles on tomorrow and install the drivers on Monday (wife's away!)....so it should be Tuesday latest!

Richard

Hi Bob

This is a really daft question....(so why ask it!)

Would you recommend untwisting the single pair cat5 cable connecting the drivers to the terminals?

I have two children and I think it might be a good idea to fit a grill to the driver. You mention the following grill on your website...

'This is the easiest sollution. No modifications are required to the basic speaker cabinet. The grill is screwed to the cabinet through the driver mounting holes. If you would like to remove the grills at a later time, simply unscrew the grills and replace the screws in the driver mounting holes. This cannot be done on a regular basic. You should consider the grills permanent. A charge of $50 will cover my costs of installing the Fostex factory grills.'

Is this something you sell on its own, or could you briefly explain how its made?

Thanks

Richard

Tripmaster said:
Hi Bob

This is a really daft question....(so why ask it!)

Would you recommend untwisting the single pair cat5 cable connecting the drivers to the terminals?

You can do it either way. Separating the wires increases inductance, twisting them increases capacitance. Since inductance may roll off the high end, I would think that twisted is preferred. Try it both ways and report back.

I have two children and I think it might be a good idea to fit a grill to the driver. You mention the following grill on your website...

'This is the easiest sollution. No modifications are required to the basic speaker cabinet. The grill is screwed to the cabinet through the driver mounting holes. If you would like to remove the grills at a later time, simply unscrew the grills and replace the screws in the driver mounting holes. This cannot be done on a regular basic. You should consider the grills permanent. A charge of $50 will cover my costs of installing the Fostex factory grills.'

Is this something you sell on its own, or could you briefly explain how its made?

Buy them from Madisound. Hint: get 1/4" diameter magnets and press them into the mounting holes of the grills. The grills will then stick to the driver mounting screws.

Bob

Bob Brines said:

You can do it either way. Separating the wires increases inductance, twisting them increases capacitance. Since inductance may roll off the high end, I would think that twisted is preferred. Try it both ways and report back.

Buy them from Madisound. Hint: get 1/4" diameter magnets and press them into the mounting holes of the grills. The grills will then stick to the driver mounting screws.

Bob

Bob, my only concern would be that while the little 1/4" Neo magnets are not easy to remove, they are always a hazard around little kids, who are forever surprising parents by inventing new ways to achieve the impossible.

chrisb said:

Bob, my only concern would be that while the little 1/4" Neo magnets are not easy to remove, they are always a hazard around little kids, who are forever surprising parents by inventing new ways to achieve the impossible.

You are press fitting a 1/4" magnet into a 6mm hole. That's a very tight fit. (6.35mm >> 6mm). If this still bothers you, you can pour epoxy onto the magnet from the front of the grill.

If you use the screws supplied with the grills, the driver falls out when you remove the grills. Then you will have to find new screws to mount the driver, because the holes are now too big for the stock driver screws. I don't use screws any more -- I use screw inserts and 10-28 hex head cap screws.

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chuyler1 said:

seriously? Wow. Do you have a link to that story?

SInce this is the "local" news i saw it on the tele and never looked up on-line. I can't recall whether it was 3 months ago or 9.

It was a pair of magnets from the building kit that comprises steel balls with connectors made of a cylinder with a magnet embedded in each end... it was 2 of these that she ate.

dave

Tripmaster said:
Thanks for the comments! I'm sure the magnets will be OK if glued into place.

Hi Bob

Do you use the Fostex or Madisound grills?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=404_297_302

Are these the magnets?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8297

Richard

Correct grills, wrong magnets. Try these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-014

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.