Brines FT-1600 Mk2 Build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 09:43 PM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin

Click the image to open in full size.

It was only a matter of time!
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 09:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Hi

I haven't had time to test the amp with the drive units, I should have said. My speakers are a week or two from completion and as the speaker wiring is OK I'll wait until then before retesting.

Do you have an ad in hi-fi news this month?

I'll post a few pictures of the build when I have a moment

Thanks

Richard
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 09:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Hi

Here are a couple of photos of the cabinets before I apply the the oil.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


Bob, sorry to cover old ground. Do you apply a wax after the four coats of oil? I was planing to do this but I just wanted to check the silicon would stick to a wax coating.

I have to say I beginning to get quite excited!

Thanks for the help so far

Richard
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Quote:
Originally posted by Tripmaster
.... Do you apply a wax after the four coats of oil? I was planing to do this but I just wanted to check the silicon would stick to a wax coating.
Looking good!

You may wax if you choose, but wait a couple of weeks for the oil finish to completely set.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:32 PM   #25
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines


Looking good!

Bob
Thanks Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 06:20 PM   #26
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: U.K
Six days ago.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 06:31 PM   #27
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Tripmaster
Hi

I haven't had time to test the amp with the drive units, I should have said. My speakers are a week or two from completion and as the speaker wiring is OK I'll wait until then before retesting.

Do you have an ad in hi-fi news this month?

I'll post a few pictures of the build when I have a moment

Thanks

Richard
Patience dear boy...it's not quite two weeks!

I am going to stick the Supra baffles on tomorrow and install the drivers on Monday (wife's away!)....so it should be Tuesday latest!

Richard
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 06:39 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
Tripmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Hi Bob

This is a really daft question....(so why ask it!)


Would you recommend untwisting the single pair cat5 cable connecting the drivers to the terminals?


I have two children and I think it might be a good idea to fit a grill to the driver. You mention the following grill on your website...

'This is the easiest sollution. No modifications are required to the basic speaker cabinet. The grill is screwed to the cabinet through the driver mounting holes. If you would like to remove the grills at a later time, simply unscrew the grills and replace the screws in the driver mounting holes. This cannot be done on a regular basic. You should consider the grills permanent. A charge of $50 will cover my costs of installing the Fostex factory grills.'

Is this something you sell on its own, or could you briefly explain how its made?

Thanks

Richard
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 06:40 PM   #29
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: U.K
Goodee!
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:41 PM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Quote:
Originally posted by Tripmaster
Hi Bob

This is a really daft question....(so why ask it!)

Would you recommend untwisting the single pair cat5 cable connecting the drivers to the terminals?
You can do it either way. Separating the wires increases inductance, twisting them increases capacitance. Since inductance may roll off the high end, I would think that twisted is preferred. Try it both ways and report back.


Quote:
I have two children and I think it might be a good idea to fit a grill to the driver. You mention the following grill on your website...

'This is the easiest sollution. No modifications are required to the basic speaker cabinet. The grill is screwed to the cabinet through the driver mounting holes. If you would like to remove the grills at a later time, simply unscrew the grills and replace the screws in the driver mounting holes. This cannot be done on a regular basic. You should consider the grills permanent. A charge of $50 will cover my costs of installing the Fostex factory grills.'

Is this something you sell on its own, or could you briefly explain how its made?
Buy them from Madisound. Hint: get 1/4" diameter magnets and press them into the mounting holes of the grills. The grills will then stick to the driver mounting screws.

Bob
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parasound DAC-1600 R-K Rønningstad Digital Source 20 16th February 2014 03:09 AM
Brines FB-20 done!!!! Finally steviedon Full Range 16 13th June 2009 01:37 AM
technics sl-1600 kazoo Analogue Source 2 11th August 2005 01:10 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2