rFonken -- Success & Failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
After seeing & touching the PE curved Parts Express cabinets we thot we'd explore the idea of a flat-pak baffle assembly that turned the 1/2 ft^3 (14 litre) PE cabinet into a member of the Fonken family.

The PE cabinet is quite good. Top, bottom, & back are all quite small. Sides are a plywood made of a laminate of 6 layers of MDF. Sides, top & bottom are braced. The weak point is the MDF baffle. They are well finished and come in a variety of flavours (black, cherry, maple). The one down-side is that the MDF is somewhat "soft" and it is not all that hard to damage the edges (pictures later).

We devised and built up a baffle & installed them into a set of cherry finished PE cabinets.

The Success: they work really well. Not quite the finese of a set of FonkenPrime but close.

The Failure: turns out it is almost as hard to build these as it is to build a full set of FonkenPrime. Also a problem was the dimensional consistancy of the 2 pair of PE cabs we have was not all that good. So we had to abandon the idea of flat-pak baffles.

The Upside: someone can have the R&D mules REALLY cheap (see the Swap Meet)

Full plans are here http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/rFonken-map-290709.pdf (not there as i write this, i need to run them thru acrobat)

dave

Attachments

• rfonken-side-front.jpg
    rfonken-side-front.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 687
They look good, Dave! :)

The Failure: turns out it is almost as hard to build these as it is to build a full set of FonkenPrime. Also a problem was the dimensional consistancy of the 2 pair of PE cabs we have was not all that good. So we had to abandon the idea of flat-pak baffles.

You'll probably find as I did, also at least twice as expensive cost wise going the PE route ;)

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.