need some pointers to find the right design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

quite possible I'll receive some flak for this, but here's my problem.

I did some reading in this forum, saw different designs, but the problem is, there are often abbreviations used and it seems, that everything depends on a bazillion of factors. Also these design threads tend to break 1000+ posts rather easily making them a pain to read completly.

This also makes the learning curve quite steep for a newbee like me.
Built some tabaqs from my z-5500 drivers and a gainclone and they make me quite happy.

But the sickness combined with some free time hit me hard.
I also made the mistake of drooling over pictures of awesome speakers.

So here I am. My plan is get more experience in woodworking and also an efficient design for my room. (volume wont be the problem, the room is small).

I really like horn designs, as they seem to get a lot out of fullrange drivers, but the thread about the frugels confused me more than anything.

-Budget would be 100-150€ for the drivers which includes the famous FE126E.

-Size of the frugels is about the max I could take in my room, but then again I'm a nerd, so what.

-I can't put them directly into the corner, but they will be (don't have to though) close to the wall (~30cm).

-I don't care about build complexity, as I want to learn something in the process.

I don't expect to be spoon fed here, but I'd really appreciate some pointers.
Thanks.

A good step up from the Tabaq would be the BIB's.

Advantage: works with FE126

Has a handy calculator at zilla speak to give dimensions

The BIB doesn't necessarily need a corner. Some have found too much bass snugging them in tight to a wall. I'm one of those.

The footprint of the BIB is fairly small but it does need height.

1. the room is about 3x5 meters and the speakers would probably be placed along the long wall. at least I wont be able to put the right into a corner.

2. the room is not well damped at all. I can hear almost everything happening in the rest of the house.
But I'm a headfi guy, and the speakers will be used mostly when I'm alone.

3. 2-3m

4. Dac is an opus with wolfsons WM8741, preamp a CKK3. both should be highendish. And finally a snubberized LM3886 gainclone.

5. Sorry but I can't narrow that down. I love Pink Floyd, but also Jazz, Metal, female vocals... its a mess :)

6. I really like tight, non muddy bass and treble that isn't to harsh.

Thanks for helping me clarify :)

ok I think the BiB would be nice. If I understand correctly this is a horn design and the large open surface on the top helps the driver to reach lower frequencies.

loninappleton which drivers did you use for your BiB.

And could someone tell me what the blue dashed line is in these graphs?

pretty sure the red line is measured sonic pressure level of the driver (speaker) but what's the blue line? something like optimal spl?

thanks again.

lifthanger,

My BIBs were built around the FE127e rather than your proposed FE126. At the time it was the right decision. I have always worked on the minimalist end of the hobby so my materials have stopped pretty much at prototyping rather than finished 'furniture' materials and builds. They sound good to me. The backhorn length seems to accomplish sound enhancements across a variety of driver substitutions. So as I play with some cheap 4 inchers with the EnABL process, I have swapped those into my BIB cabinets. And made homebrew phase plugs. However, phase plugs should not be attempted on the FE127e or 126 either. That has to do with how the speakers are constructed.

The other two BIB tweaks are a supra baffle and The Pennant as proposed by GM. The Pennant is a suspended strip of felt mounted at the mouth of the BIB. That is used to tame boominess.

This covers a few hundred posts in the main BIB thread.

;)

I was afraid you'd say that ;).

I figure I'll build just one of them and then think about tweaking.

the FE127E would also fit the budget without problems.
The 126E and 127E are the same price here (+-5€).

Could you tell me which mouth surface you've used?

I'd favour the 63squareinches.

Seems like your approach is the same as mine. I didn't even sand of the glue traces on my tabaqs. :)

edit: just used the calculator and got more like 88sq.in. for Sm.

this matches with the other spreadsheet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Lifthanger said:
ok I think the BiB would be nice. If I understand correctly this is a horn design.............

pretty sure the red line is measured sonic pressure level of the driver (speaker) but what's the blue line? something like optimal spl?

It's a simple pipe horn folded in half.

It's the driver's infinite baffle response as a frame of reference.

GM

thanks GM now I understand (after reading wth an infinite baffel means ;) ).

my Sm difference originated from the 127e. it seems the 126e is better suited for horn designs so I'll use that.

the calculator also spit out the expected Sm of about 45inches.

What about the preferred dimensions in the calculator?

hm said:
Whats about the TB W4 1320, 3 mm stroke?

Greets!

While you and I prefer a low distortion wide dynamic range regardless of average SPL, in this forum, driver selection is primarily based on it's mids/treble response, so with that in mind, my question is how does the 1320's wide BW performance compare to the 126E's? I mean folks here seem to prefer a number of Fostex models over any TB for a single driver alignment regardless of size/cost.

GM

Scottmoose said:
TBH, I'd take a CHR70 over both the Fostex or the TB, although admittedly, it's not the most sensitive driver on the planet.

Hmm, how about compared to a 1st gen. CSS FR125S? With a bit of vent damping it sims fine in Buzz's 40-1354, now FR125S MLTLs with some minor vent damping, though its lower Xmax may prove an issue if it doesn't have a rising response suspension to allow a bit of over-drive before bottoming out.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.