Will my room suit the FTA-2000? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Will my room suit the FTA-2000?

My basic room is 12 foot wide and 10 foot long with an 8 foot ceiling. At the 12 foot end is the bay window, lots of glass and it's like an 8 foot by 5 foot box with deep cuts in the outer corners. The bay window ceiling is 18" higher than the room ceiling.

The only practical place to put the speakers is just inside the bay window area, listening chair at the far wall.

I was tempted by a bib, there's a lot of corner for a small room but I sort of fell in love with Bob Brines FTA-2000, it just looks so right.

My current system is a Charlize and Monica 2 dac, might upgrade to a Monica 3 soon but no plans to change anything else bar the speakers which are old RAM ltd. KEF drivers but I don't know anything else about them. They're using a pair of large and very dead Wharfdales as stands, almost the same footprint as the FTA-2000 so I know that they'll fit.

I do enjoy blasting it once in a while, Stones type rock but like female vocalists too, Janis Ian, Eddie Reader and Patricia Barber. I can live without high volume full orchestra if I have to although it can be fun once every Preston Guild.

If the FTA-2000 will be a mistake in my room please tell me which of Bobs speakers will suit me better.

Thanks.
Old 24th July 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I recently built brines fb-20 large monitor using the same driver. They sound incredible playing acoustic instrumentation and vocals. The treble is well articulated, but very beamy on axis as with any larger full range. Bass is very natural sounding, but could use a sub to add some guts @ 60hz down. I'm guessing the LTA-2000 will sound much the same with the exception of a little more on the low end. Your plan sounds great, just avoid backing them into the corners. They will not sound good blasting stones.....as with any other full range, they struggle to differentiate overly complicated rock and end up sounding muddy.
Old 24th July 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Assuming that those dimensions include seating space (for at least 2?), the room might be a bit small for any 8" system.

If you want to use a Fostex, you might want to consider something using FE167E; either Bob's FB16, FT1600II, or other designs such as:

Click the image to open in full size.

I have these in 2 different rooms right now, one and L-shaped bedroom approx 200sq ft , the other a more conventional rectangular room, 15ftx24ft. The first is driven by either 2A3 or 300B SET, depending on my mood (3.5 & 7W respectively), and the second by Kingrex 20 watt class T. Both can play more than loud enough - and with phase plugs, I find the upper mids to as high as I can hear anymore quite smooth. Of course, some listeners might want to roll in a tweeter circa 8-12K, depending on preference.
Old 29th July 2009, 01:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, have done yet another rethink.

After much more reading, I've noticed that many of 'let's try everthing' builders keep going back to the Fostex 126/127. Maybe I should be lazy and jump to where I'm probably going to end up anyway?

The reason for wanting an 8" FR was more bass of course but tbh I get plenty of listening pleasure following bass runs and my RAMs don't do much below 60hz.

Never again am I going to berate a female for being indicisive when shopping.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Time out!

The FTA-2000 uses the alnico F200A and is a high taper rate TL. The LT-2000 uses either the Lowther DX3 or the Fostex FE207E and is a MLTL. The FTA-2000 produces gobs of bass and might well be too much for your smallish room. You might well be happier with the FT-1600 (FE167E), also a MLTL.

Bob
Old 29th July 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
The FTA-2000 produces gobs of bass and might well be too much for your smallish room.
Without any BSC?

GM
Old 29th July 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Without any BSC?

GM
3dB of BSC

Bob
Old 29th July 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks! OK then, will using an adjustable one or removing it altogether and/or damping the TL's terminus solve typical small room gain issues?

GM
Old 29th July 2009, 07:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Thanks! OK then, will using an adjustable one or removing it altogether and/or damping the TL's terminus solve typical small room gain issues?

GM
Well, it certainly might. It's just that the F200A produces such a big, lush sound, I think it would be better to go with a speaker that is known to work well in small rooms rather than risk the unknown.

Bob
Old 1st August 2009, 01:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

ok then, I've learnt that bigger isn't always better.

Bob, apart from WAF and price, are there any audio reasons that someone would choose your FB-20 over your FT2000? Room size or driver placement issues maybe?

Hide this!Advertise here!