FE167eN vs stock FE167e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow I doubt I'd ever be picky enough to look for all the things you mentioned, but it's still very cool that you've researched it so thoroughly. Me, I'm all about one thing: Get rid of whatever it is that hurts my ears without losing speed and resolution.

If that can be accomplished, then all the rest is icing. :D

Since there is a thread going on EnABL how-to, I'm bringing this question in here to avoid confusion at one point.

I made a setup of small speakers from Pioneer. I cobbled together an
A/B switch which I can use from the sitting position. One has an EnABL ring and a bit of dustcap treatment and the other is stock-- Zee Row treatments of anything.

More listening to do and my EnABL technique is poor at this point.

But the EnABL one in this setup is not giving any revelations so far as an obviously notable effect.

The Pioneers are spec'ed at 15k rather than 20K Hz. Is this a limitation for the dynamics of the EnABL job?

Does the Puzzlecoat/Modpodge do more than seal the cone for the application? Have there been more results with just the dots?

I'm doing all this before I move on to my FE127es which are well-seasoned.

Do not be alarmed with the lack of much difference.

I am going to assume that you have both drivers pointed right at you, when you switch. The on axis response is the best sound an untreated driver can provide and except for removing a slight "hot spot" tendency, with the EnABL patterns, there will not be much difference between the two. Better to stand the boxes on their back sides and listen to both from about 45 to 60 degrees off of the then vertical axis. See if you notice anything different about the presentation of instruments in 3D space from this.

This is about all of the obvious change you will get from an outer ring and a center of voice coil cover ring set. That outer ring does usually provide a lateral dispersal of higher frequencies and you should notice this as your ears reach a height that is roughly tangent to the angle of the cone surface.

Dave, who has as much time spent on improving drivers as I do, took many hours of listening before he comprehended the changes. They are not a "better" sound, just more complete and that is not a particularly obvious event. Especially since you are reteaching your expectation threshold, in your threat assessment system and not a lot of people are even aware they have one of those.

Bud

Hi perempe20,

FE167E off-axis is plotted on the factory specs, although it's not too legible. Under the frequency response curve, there are at least two lines consisting of dots / dashes. These are the off-axis curves (not sure what degrees).

The response of this driver looks pretty flat on-axis (i.e., no need to listen off-axis). Is there a particular reason you are interested in the off-axis response?

EDIT: Factory specs: http://fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/FEAV-Series.shtml

Originally posted by perempe20 I tried Fountek FW168 as a full ranger,,,
Other 6.5" full range drivers have similar off axis performance? [/B]

Hi perempe20, every driver is different. But in general, a full-ranger will have much more treble (on and off-axis) than the FW168 (midbass).

Dave, can you say how the off-axis response of the FE167eN differs from the FE167E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.