Why not a ribbon tweeter instead of a horn tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about adding the Fostex T90A to my Sachiko/Fostex 208 Sigma build, but now I am rethinking that to use a ribbon tweeter instead. I really can not see a down side to this, but maybe I am overlooking something. If I am please inform me before I start this build :)
The Fountek NeoCd2.0M, a 5" ribbon tweeter which is 98 db efficient. This should be fine with minimal need to damp the tweeter to match the Sigma 208. What do you all think about this?

Hi Micheal,

I know what you mean. Yes aside from horn tweeters which I have no experience, ribbons sounds the most realistic to me.
Always very sweet & clear without sounding hi-fi. Considering
the Fountek's surface area, the sound could be overpowering
when used in conjuntion with your Sigma's. Might drown out the
lows.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ribbons are often used (Basszilla for instance).

The downside of a ribbon is that its dispersion is wider than a typical horn, so there is more of a dispersion flare at the XO.

That said when i use a supertweeter on my FonkenPrimes, half the time it is a set of CSS Ribbons (Aurum Cantus) or a set of Foster horns.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.