chr-70 designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of MA chr-70s and have been looking at the designs out there. I would really like to build a pair of MLTLs for these drivers but it appears that Martin King`s worksheets are not available to download anymore. Has anyone run these drivers in a pair of MLTLs? I like the scottmoose design but would like something shorter. Opinions?

repeddler said:
I've got a pair shipping and thinking of going with the 1/4 wave TL design (pensil) on MA's site. Not sure if I want it that tall and thin because it will be at my daughters college apartment.

Has anybody built that plan?

Bruce, how long till she goes back, mid August? You might want to wait a bit till Scott and Dave debut the plans that he mentioned above. I've gotten a peak at them and they look promising; especially for your application. I don't know what your time frame is though so you'd have to ask Dave how far off that is.

I do have a little time..and I'd be interested in other plans, which is the problem us newbs have. We think about it too much, rather than just building.

I thought I'd get wood this Friday and start cutting, especially since its going to be cooler.....Maybe mid 90's instead of triple digits like we've had for past week....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
italynstylion said:
I've gotten a peak at them and they look promising; especially for your application. I don't know what your time frame is though so you'd have to ask Dave how far off that is.

The ones Steven saw will be released as soon as our build says we didn't blow it. We did a stretch on this one to fit a specific form factor and don't want to release it without a proof of concept... pretty little things they are -- dark walnut (can't recall if they are or just stained to make me think they are).

Steven scooped the back drivers, but i have another set almost done.

The other designs are waiting for me to finish off some stuff we are working on for another client's unreleased driver (the goodies just keep coming).

dave

Repeddler, another newb here too, I've been lurking the full range forums for quite a while and umming and ahhing over the Moose BVR range for far too long. I'm on holidays now and want to spring for the Lotus with CHR-70 drivers.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1801577#post1801577

I have a question that maybe the members here can kindly answer for me - the Lotus plans call for 19mm ply, but I can get some good 13-ply hardwood in 18mm at the right price. My question is, if I make the cabinets 2mm narrower, will the cabinets still work OK, and should I keep the main box volume exactly the same and compromise the flare dimensions, or keep the flare dimensions intact and compromise the box volume. In the last scenario the box volume would increase from 20.9 litres to 21.15 litres (rough calc). Is that enough to worry about? If its too much compromise I'll look for some 19mm.

Also, is the Lotus design finalised, or are there any latest changes or suggestions that would be nice to know before I buy some ply and cut it up?

Ian.

Ian444 said:
Repeddler, another newb here too, I've been lurking the full range forums for quite a while and umming and ahhing over the Moose BVR range for far too long. I'm on holidays now and want to spring for the Lotus with CHR-70 drivers.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1801577#post1801577

I have a question that maybe the members here can kindly answer for me - the Lotus plans call for 19mm ply, but I can get some good 13-ply hardwood in 18mm at the right price. My question is, if I make the cabinets 2mm narrower, will the cabinets still work OK, and should I keep the main box volume exactly the same and compromise the flare dimensions, or keep the flare dimensions intact and compromise the box volume. In the last scenario the box volume would increase from 20.9 litres to 21.15 litres (rough calc). Is that enough to worry about? If its too much compromise I'll look for some 19mm.

Also, is the Lotus design finalised, or are there any latest changes or suggestions that would be nice to know before I buy some ply and cut it up?

Ian.

Even if you use 18mm wood the cabinets will still be the correct width internally. Remember, the internal width will be the width of the inside boards. I could take boards that were 30mm thick and stick a 127mm wide board between them and the space will still be 127mm.

Do you see what I mean? Just cut the internal boards at the correct width and you should be pretty much fine. Difference will be negligible I'd think.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ian444 said:
the Lotus plans call for 19mm ply, but I can get some good 13-ply hardwood in 18mm at the right price.

The stuff we get is 18mm too... just keep the critical dimensions the same... internal width, depth of the internal chamber, height of the internal chamber, length and depth of the port, height of the ports. The only relevant dimension that will change will be the length of the ports, they will be 1mm shorter which will have a negligable impact. On the outside they will be 2mm narrower and 4 mm shorter.

dave

Ian444 said:
I nearly finished cutting up the wood pieces, but because I don't yet have the drivers, I went looking for the hole size cut-out.

From the Solen website, hole cut-out is 100mm
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/mark/chr70.pdf

From Mark Audio, it is 104mm
http://markaudio.com/chr70 (click on "installation" down the bottom)

Can someone confirm for me which is correct please?

104 is correct. I`ve been cutting out baffles for them today and for the Alpair 6s. Good luck, Steve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.