High efficiency tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Ok I'm looking into building a 2 way speaker crossing
over at about 8K to the tweeter. My Coral 10" full/wide
range speaker spec wise is 94db. Specs says that it'll
go up to 20K which I'm very doubtful. Hence a need to
add a tweeter. Am looking for a good sounding tweeter
to go with the Coral.

Thanks for the advice.

Cal Weldon said:
I think either of those would be fine but the FT95 wants a high XO point I see but it sounds like that's what you are looking for. Both are very sensitive so you'll need to pad them a bit. Also, the 94 dB rating of the Coral might be a bit optimistic.

FT17H also wants a high crossover but that's what he wants.

I'd suggest considering Fostex FT7RP. fits budget, sweet sound, mild horn loading (active above 8k) should dovetail nicely with the coral, and isn't so sensitive as to need much padding (93dB).

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. In reality, this is going to be my first
wide range speaker project. I'm notsure as to what frequency
is best to cross over too but from reading the posts here, I seem
to recall that 8k is about right to get above the midrange.
Is this correct guys ?

Many thanks

Hi,
why pad down an overly sensitive super tweeter?
Add an extra channel of dedicated HF amplification and drive the super tweeter direct from a Lower powered ClassA amplifier.
An adjustment for gain built into the line feeding the HF amp allows one to dial in the correct sounding treble response.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes. Some 15 dB more efficient than the FE127, you have to get sufficient reduction in level to get it to the same level at the XO.

If we consider a 14k XO, and want a 90 dB level, and the tweeter is 106 dB, we need to reduce the tweeter level by 16 dB. With a single cap we get 6 dB/octave. If we work backwards, 1 octave (28kHz) gives us 6 dB, 2 octaves (56kHz) gives 12 dB, 3 octaves (112kHz) gives us 18 dB. So we want somewhere between about 60-100kHz nominal XO. From there you have to play and set by ear.

T90 sounds very good. What any tweeter adds to the FE127 is quite subtle, and is best discerned by the tweeter's removal after listening for some time.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.