DIY center BLH with Fostex FE206E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're not likely to reap many benefits from back-loading the 206 for that duty -not like that anyway. Centre channels don't need to go low, so you'd probably be better off running it either sealed, or in a short, front-loading waveguide. I'm not sold on the idea of low-mid back-horns. Alternatively, just don't bother with a centre-channel & run phantom centre. Personally, I prefer it to a separate centre speaker, but YMMV of course.

A simple sealed box will be considered :)

I've been looking at a couple of Spawn horns but unfortunately, they all seem a bit big for my use.

The main reason I want to use a horn construction is that I want the sensitivity of the Jerichos (about 100dB/2,83v/M) and also match the look, but if I can't find any that fits my needs perfectly I'll build something more simple.

Harald

I know the Spawn & CarderSound boxes well, primarily because I designed them, with the exception of the Morgan sub. ;) The Kyler / Jade boxes you're refering to are essentially multi-purpose cabs.; they can be used as mains or surrounds, or as a centre channel. Different general requirements -different driver too, that needs to be handled in a different way. Remember, a BLH of any kind is really only useful below the driver's mass-corner, so when the bandwidth it's going to be covering is already above the driver's mass-corner, much of it's purpose in life is lost.

BTW -the Jericho is not really 100dB. Well, it is & it isn't. Across it's operating BW, it is, give or take (from about 50Hz - 300Hz). Everything above that is simple direct radiation from the driver & the efficiency you get is what it inherently posesses, which is about 95 - 96dB 1m/1w in practice.

and since

While many might maintain that the center channel is the most important one for dialogue, etc, it doesn't contain a lot of low frequency information, so why expend the various associated costs (i.e. physical box dimensions, driver cost) ?

You could probably get a pretty close match to the tonality of the FE206E with either a single FE166E or even a pair of FE126E, either of which would require a much smaller box. As for difference in theoretical sensitivity, there should be more than enough adjustment in the HT processor to accommodate for that.

Actually, based on my experience with HT processors/receivers, I'd be inclined to suggest that the difference in tonality between the 206 and FE167 might well be swamped by the electronics, and I know for sure the latter driver works very well for this purpose in a pretty simple and compact sealed enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.