junkiest PC that'll run horn response? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2009, 03:09 AM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default junkiest PC that'll run horn response?

I figure I should probably consider learning how to solve my own enclosure design problems while I ask the advice of those wiser. It sounds like Horn Response is probably the best option for me to simulate things like BVR's and ML Voigts, right? I looked quickly and didn't see system requirements listed on the download page. I'd have to buy a computer to run mostly that program alone, so how decrepit a machine can I get without getting overly frustrated by its speed?

pj
Old 10th July 2009, 03:45 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Good Q, some of the latest enhancements are slow as MathCad to calculate with my P4. Anyway, ask DB on the dedicated HR thread: Hornresp

GM
Old 10th July 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Done. I should get over to the sub forum more often. Especially if I build some smaller mains . . .

pj
Old 10th July 2009, 06:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I run it on a very, very junky circa-2002 P4 2.0 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM with XP (a machine that I pulled out of a dumpster). Yes, it is very slow, but it works.
Old 13th July 2009, 03:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I bought an old Dell C840 Laptop (P4 2.2Ghz, 512MB). Now I'm a PC too. We needed another laptop anyway. Now all I have to do is learn horn response. . . .

pj
Old 13th July 2009, 03:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

PJ, you will be simulating 10% faster than I will! Here, make dhenryp's HornResp tutorial your new homepage:

BLH example with Hornresp in pictures

I suggest we post newb questions there. By the way, you are moving westward - which state? Surely not as far as New Mexico?
Old 13th July 2009, 04:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Scottsbluff Nebraska: the center of the Panhandle, close to nothin'. Looks like about 8 hrs to Santa Fe. We're hoping to make it down sometime this fall. We meant to get back down there a couple of weeks ago, but that was prior to planning this move.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. It's going to be a busy next couple of weeks, but hopefully I'll find some time to get busy with it. I need some new boxes.

pj
Old 13th July 2009, 04:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi PJ, good luck with your move, and see you on the newbie HornResp thread. Definitely contact me when you're in Santa Fe. There are lots of hifi nuts here.
Old 13th July 2009, 07:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default FWIW

hornresp (mostly) works with wine, but it's one of those things that's not so fast in wine.

this week, i went from a 800 cel to ~2.6 dualie (same os & hd actually) and _for_hornresp_only_, it's not that much faster noticeable, but not quantum-ey like a couple other programs.

too late for pj i know, but in case others had the same Q.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've run that on a 75MHz original Pentium. Just give it enough RAM and it won't crash

Hide this!Advertise here!