Atlanta DIY Meet in planning stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2009, 10:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Atlanta DIY Meet in planning stage

Interested parties check out the thread at PE Forum.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...76#post1576276

Several of us interested in FR as well as regular speakers.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

interested....

I'm up in Suwanee. South Forsyth county.

Electronics also???

Jeff
Old 5th July 2009, 08:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sure. The host, Dave, Makes tube Amps and FR speakers. You will see them at his store. He is the owner of EARTHSHAKINGMUSIC. Seems like I am the ORGANIZER. No one else has stepped up. I have made one set of Fostex FE107E speakers.
Old 5th July 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Lucky you. The original series of DIY Meets ended when a more suitable location couldn't be found and Robert had to step down as organizer when his career took off.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able attend, though unless I can pry the MLTLs I brought to one of the earlier Meets (now upgraded from RS 40-1354 to CSS FR125S) away from their current 'owner' it'll just be me.

Maybe Woody will bring the Dave p10 tweaked 40-1197 ML-Voigt horns I cobbled together for the last Meet. They were 'FR' crowd pleasers.

GM
Old 5th July 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Lucky you. The original series of DIY Meets ended when a more suitable location couldn't be found and Robert had to step down as organizer when his career took off.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able attend, though unless I can pry the MLTLs I brought to one of the earlier Meets (now upgraded from RS 40-1354 to CSS FR125S) away from their current 'owner' it'll just be me.

Maybe Woody will bring the Dave p10 tweaked 40-1197 ML-Voigt horns I cobbled together for the last Meet. They were 'FR' crowd pleasers.

GM
So, how many showed up last time. I have no idea what to expect. The room seems to be 500 sf or so. A live stage with seating for 40 people.

We will make it work and have a blast.
Old 5th July 2009, 09:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't recall a head count for any of them, but it was a lot more than 40 total, varying throughout the day of course, though with the economy being what it is now.........

Then again, according to this site, there were only 28 registered for the last event: http://www.diyatl.org/

FYI, Pat Sun's photo albums:

http://www.io.com/~patman/diy2001.html
http://www.io.com/~patman/diy2k2.html
http://www.patcave.com/diy2k3.html
http://www.patcave.com/diy2k4.html

GM
Old 6th July 2009, 12:06 PM   #7
GordonW is offline GordonW  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess, if anyone was interested... I have a speaker that started as a sort of DIY project, in small-scale production now... I could bring a sample pair. These are based on an 8" commercial-series Tannoy dual-concentric, with my own crossover work and cabinet design. I'm in Marietta.

BTW: I was the other guy (besides Robert Cheng) who originally organized the DIY-Atlanta event, starting in 2001 or so. Robert took over the organizational duties for it, until he started getting sent overseas so much, and ran out of time to plan it anymore. Until now, there hasn't been anyone else to step up and take over organizational duties. It'll be interesting to see if this can be brought back to life, even if in different form...

Regards,
Gordon.
Old 6th July 2009, 03:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Hope you do! The early work I saw on it looked promising.

Sorry for the lack of recognition, didn't realize you helped Rob start it up beyond being an enthusiastic supporter.

GM

PS: Me and others are still interested in a follow up to this old thread: Horn Flare/driver throat mismatch causing big FR dip?
Old 11th July 2009, 11:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a better understanding of what we can do now. We have a 30x30' room for our main meeting. Also, two additional rooms that can be used to audition speakers seating 10 or so. Measurements can be made in a booth in the shop area.

DIY electronics can be displayed in the main room. Time permiting, we will be able to demo them also.

Future post will be made at the web site.
www.diyatlanta.org

Check it to get the latest.

Bob Howell

Date: Sat., 8/8/2009
Old 14th July 2009, 01:44 AM   #10
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Darn. Right in my part of town too. But I'll be at a wedding that weekend. In Colorado.

If for any reason it gets pushed back a week or two, I'll bring my modified Tannoy 12 DMT II's (sealed half-cylinder cabinet with large roundovers for low diffraction), which I think be an interesting counterpoint to Gordon's 8" Tannoy Dual Concentric + helper woofer speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!