Anyone built a TB W5-1611 Horn? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Herr_Mo is offline Herr_Mo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone built a TB W5-1611 Horn?

Hey,

I think i saw a TB W5-1611 backloaded-horn somewhere in this forum. I did not save a link and it has been a while so i can't find it anymore.
would be glad to receive some more information!
thanks @ all

Mo
Old 1st July 2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

this is a very nice horn, absolutely great for voices, pinpoint imaging. the sound has a slight nostalgic character (I mean this as a compliment), adding a RCL as BSC could make it more neutral
Attached Images
File Type: png conic_-_w5-1611_horn_small.png (96.2 KB, 616 views)
Old 1st July 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Herr_Mo is offline Herr_Mo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Great, thank you very much Henkjan!
I think you are the one who developed this horn, right? Did you make any measurings you could post?

Ok, i figured out what is a RCL. But i don't understand the shortcut BSC, i only know it from economics - balanced score card

As a RCL smoothens the frequency response, which frequencies should be reduced? I already have the W5 in a 10l BR called Sarah (developed by The_Guitar_Tux, published in the german hifi-forum.de). Maybe some notch filter can be re-used?
If it's OK for you i'd like to post your drawing in the hifi-forums Sarah-Thread. Some users are also interested in a W5-Horn. Does it have a name already?
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I did not devellop the horn, that honour goes to Roland Breteler from Crafty loudspeakers.

I did not measure this one, since I did not have it long enough. but from the tonal balance I expect the usual midrange 4dB orso hump that you could flatten using a Baffle Step Correction. but I would advise to listen to it first, the tonal balance is not unpleasant and makes voices sound even better. already after a few minutes listening your brains will have gotten used to it and does not bother anymore. only when switching between loadspeakers it is clearly noticable.

The Sarah is a much smaller box, so I expect the main notch (the one for the BSC)would not be very good, you might want to try some of the smaller ones aimed at driver resonances (personally I think they are not needed)

Hide this!Advertise here!