Tang Band W4-1757SB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The BMR is a NXT product i believe....

nxtdriver.jpg

also used in these -
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4006

The Tangbands are interesting all the same :)

I recently bought 2 of these to try out. I think they are slightly bright on axis. However they sound really nice.

I like the look of these, remind me of Accutons but many times cheaper. Maybe the brightness would be tamed if the sensitivity of the tweet and bass drivers were marginally higher..

Sound quality wise, how would they compare to TB's 4" titanium driver I wonder?

These are flat aluminum diaphragms (I won't call them cones now) stiffened by sandwiching with honeycomb, not BMR as they are not intended to be flexible. Pretty expensive drivers but should be really nice off axis. Haven't got the chance to try such expensive drivers. Qts is moderate so maybe a quarter wave transmission line would work, maybe tune them at around 50Hz, and you can actually get a pair of very slim floorstand speaker (say 4" deep). Just my two cents though...

I tried & measured it

I am trying to build a small semifullrange (min 250-18kHz) speaker. Some BMR type may good for that but did not find any source for that. I thought that some TB flat honeycomb would be similar and the 1757SB had the smoothest impedance plots published. So I tried one but found high distortion peaks at 550Hz, 1.6k and a wide area around 10k (dark violet track). I modified the speaker by laminating the front with a 6 cm diameter carbon fiber tissue disk and coating the back of the honey comb disk with some green glue (green track).
That got rid of the two lower resonance peaks but the resonances at 10k did not change and are still very obvious in step response or waterfall plots. It would be a very good sounding midrange but these resonances do not make a good full range speaker.
Any suggestion how to modify further or any alternative speaker?

Attachments

• comp TB 1757SB.png
    comp TB 1757SB.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.