EnABL How-To for Fostex FE127e and other speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The attached are the last 127 ring set I published, 2012. Print from Adobe reader with full page control. Usual setting is for less than 100%. Cut out and drop onto cone as Dave shows. The mid cone rings will go a long way towards eliminating the 7k peak.

Good thing too. That ring will make the cone much more transparent to reflected sound, even from your cool Fonken boxes. Really is only for open baffle use. Even back loaded horns will suffer.

Seems rather hard to do, i will try, but i think the backside could be beyond my capabilities. Tomorrow i will see more.

Jimbro, Depends upon where the resonance peaks are in the un enabled driver. Usually a loss of imaginary depth and some sharper highlights from adding a tweeter to EnABL’d mids. Adding a pair of untreated woofers to a treated tweeter would mask the tweeter as the mids would have poor 1/3 octave to 1/3 octave phase and the tweeter would not do what it is meant to. Add the leading edge for all frequencies in the proper time alignment.

Freddi. Yes. Spectacular results to subtle depending on the driver used. Typical blown bubble from Japan has greater depth of coherence and better tone as all of the constituents that make up a tone are time aligned and so are in phase. Grado HP are a good example.

Bud

Actually ribbons are the easiest to treat. They only need a line of pattern blocks across the short dimension, at either end of the ribbon, no matter the material used or type of field used. Usually the support plate needs a line of patterns down the long sides, not always out at the outer or inner edge of the plate, but never on the ribbon diphragm.

Yup and on the compression slotted dome too. Need to learn the tap test method to find out where though. T350 from EV, with the phenolic dome, is one of the drivers that patterns made zero difference for though. Horn surfaces also. LeCleach flare needs on ly one, more conventional horns can get pretty busy. The result is considerably more impact, literally physical impact, from a treated horn. Removes breakup resonances too. Learn the tap test method, the diaphragm, compression form and horn will teach you where to place the patterns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.