fe167e dustcap fase plug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
then_dude said:
go with it loninappleton, if everybody jumps in on it, there will be a wealth of information.

just mailed ed for a kit too.
hifi disease is striking in full force again. hopefully ed's kit contains the antidote. if not i'll be sweating it out.

greetz

Ok.

There are a number aids to doing the job and Ed has been at this a long time. Plus there has been a lot of positive response on it.

Now if I could only locate where any A/B testing that was done on it. There is some but Enabl How-to should be just on setup and doing the job. I'm glad that there will
be someone on the thread who can do pictures.

then_dude said:
what do you mean about A/B testing: do you mean with and without the "enable"

yes i can take pictures. i will take them after every paint job.

Yes. Because the discussion of EnABL has involved a lot of inquiry and skepticism I think some A/B testing with and without has been or was going to be set up.

Planet 10 has the sort of shop that could do this.

Do you see now how even here the tangents develop and your original subject is being ignored?

:cannotbe: I don't mean to hijack the thread you have.

I have begun the introduction for the How To and materials. These are brief but I have to get some info from Ed LaFontaine to get the ball rolling. Ideally someone with all the tools at hand could make a YouTube or Google video of this as well as still pics.

There are YouTubes on simple things like sharpening kitchen knives and such. A short demonstration of 5-6 minutes should do it.

in response to then-dude's question

then_dude,

Here is an EnABL thread of listening impressions just supplied by Ed. You maybe can find your Fostex mentioned here. For me, I get dizzy from trying to sort it out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119676&perpage=25&pagenumber=15

Ed, BudP, Cal and Dave all have the 'legend of EnABL' readily in mind.

But the search facility on here does not work very well. For this reason from time to time something like the EnABL How is needed just to regain some focus.

I have enough now to get the intro going.

loninappleton said:

Because the discussion of EnABL has involved a lot of inquiry and skepticism I think some A/B testing with and without has been or was going to be set up.

if interested;
rjbond3rd did some A/B testing on 126s or 127s (forgot which) and wrote a thread about it.
he also brought them over & we compared them w/ different amps (SET & PP) and to a 108 (but in a different cab).

The Enabl How To thread is up but not really going yet.

And for Dave this is a pre EnABL question related to the previous answer above and the posting reference.

I have been staring at my FE127 for days trying to figure out how to get a proportional trifoil pattern to come out the first time. Your shop pictures show a very uniform application. And with what applicator? A brush or a foam pad?

I will put any answers in the Enable thread but that how- to should
show the work flow and I'm still assembling materials.

[side note: in the old days there would be a subject thread, replies
and then replies to replies in a tree with a new tree started with
a fresh reply. Why is that no longer a part of forum design?]

loninappleton said:
The Enabl How To thread is up but not really going yet.

And for Dave this is a pre EnABL question related to the previous answer above and the posting reference.

I have been staring at my FE127 for days trying to figure out how to get a proportional trifoil pattern to come out the first time. Your shop pictures show a very uniform application. And with what applicator? A brush or a foam pad?

Brush for application of the "trifoil" pattern on the FE126/7, and as with all EnABL patterns, a template makes things much easier and uniform.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to contact Dave directly for specific details - the geometry and materials used for the trifoil were not happenstance.

hello everyone,

1)i will try to make video's, but the problem is that i have only an old camera, the files size is hughe, it will take some time before i find the right codec.

2)is there on this board a search option per thread.
so i can look for specific words

3)the word i'm looking for is brush. i'm gonna do the mod podge very soon. but then a lot of questions pop into my mind
1)do you use a brush, and if so: what kind
2)if you apply it on the cone: the black suspension should be left alone ?
3)and the mod podge may be right up to the suspension ?
4)how to apply: in vertical lanes ? horizontal; or wihtout any pattern so that you do not create new patterns of breaking up the cone
5)2 layer: in layers ? perpendicular on the first, or again a random pattern ?
6)the whizzer also two times mod podge ? inner or outer

thanks guys, maybe these questions are already answerd, but i can't find them in the thousand replies on this board on these topics, i will gather all the info and put it out in one post. (the pro's can look at it and correct it if necessairy)

Dave will help out with this. Plus I hope that all the tips migrate into the Enable how-to.

Today I checked my bottle of ModPodge gotten at the local big box
hobby store. After the last experiment a number of months ago it is still liquid so hooray for that.

I took one of my sacrificial cheapie speakers which is shot (scratchiness from dirt in the former) and made two dilutions of the Modpodge. One is 1 to 1 with water. The second is 2 to 1 with water.

The goal was to get rid of the brush marks that were visible when I used it straight with no dilution.

The 2 to 1 appears to look best after a short dry time.

Brush used was just one I got out of a pack of 10 for 2 bucks (USD)

The Modpodge I have is matte finish. Dave will say whether this is another gaffe or not.

;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
then_dude said:
1)do you use a brush, and if so: what kind
2)if you apply it on the cone: the black suspension should be left alone ?
3)and the mod podge may be right up to the suspension ?
4)how to apply: in vertical lanes ? horizontal; or wihtout any pattern so that you do not create new patterns of breaking up the cone
5)2 layer: in layers ? perpendicular on the first, or again a random pattern ?
6)the whizzer also two times mod podge ? inner or outer

1/ an artificial brisle brush.
2/ suspension gets left alone
3/ mod podge coats the entire cone surface
4/ i get it on and then (usually) do radial strokes to even it out and brush smooth
5/ i usually apply each layer the same. Leave at least 6 hours in between.
6/ just the front side of the whizzer.

dave

planet10 said:

I like using the gloss finish. Don't know that matte is worse or better, but i suspect from some comments that Bud made that gloss might have an edge.

dave

Erf. I have most of a jar to use up. My practice speak has half 1:1 and half 1:2.

The math may be wrong but when I do a third pass I'm going to do the whole to "even it out" as you say. Keep in mind this is just for practice. Once that is done I can see how a few pen strokes take.

thanx dave, your are truely a hero

but i'm still gona ask questions, like i'm from another planet.

1)the brush: i have found a photo on internet.
is it round, flat ? how long are the hairs, and what size do you prefer ?
artificial: means synthetic (i'm not a native speaker, sorry)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2)radial strokes: that means straight lines from the inner to the outer of the cone (i'm making it foolproof)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

3) 1 paintjob: 50% water and 50% mod podge
2 paintjob: 66% water and 33% mod podge.

is this okee with the pro's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.