full range and bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default full range and bass

Hi all i have never heard a full range speaker but i have read about them and what i would like to know is can that produce good bass the type that hits you in the gut . I was thinking of building a pair TL speakers or geting a pair of fostex 206 i have just built the 41HZ AMP 6B and is fantastic but not that powerfull with my mission M7I . So the new build would have to be at least 90DB what do you think TL or full range TL TYPE
Old 16th June 2009, 01:40 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A FR can do good bass... FE207 would be better for a TL than the FE206.

dave
Old 16th June 2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

how about the ML-TL Jim Griffin designed for the Alpair10, that will give you all the bass music needs
Old 17th June 2009, 12:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi mate have you got a link for the cab design
Old 17th June 2009, 01:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Jim Griffin's Alpair 10 MLTL Design

Mark Audio Alpair 10 MLTL Design
Old 29th June 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all:

What in your opinion is the best FR driver & non gargantuan cabinet which gives the best ["hits you in the gut" like bull041161 says] bass without sacrificing the other "good" qualities of a full ranger?
In your replies, links to the cabinet plans would be much appreciated.
Old 29th June 2009, 06:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

In my limited experience, if you want a fullranger with bass that hits you in the gut, you need a woofer covering 200Hz and below. There are many, many cabinet designs for fullrange + woofer, so here's one chosen at random : http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Project08.html
Old 29th June 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keith_correa
Hi all:

What in your opinion is the best FR driver & non gargantuan cabinet which gives the best ["hits you in the gut" like bull041161 says] bass without sacrificing the other "good" qualities of a full ranger?
In your replies, links to the cabinet plans would be much appreciated.

sorry, but you're kidding, right?

a single answer to the above would require a consensus, and while most FR addicts would agree on the concept of keeping things simple, the methods and favorite driver / enclosure / amp combos used to achieve that are anything but.

As rjbond3rd alluded, one of the simpler paths to your specified goal of bass impact would probably be along the lines of Martin's DIY OB project - the architecture of which allows a fair degree of latitude of driver choices. OB panels don't need to be huge, and can certainly be more domestically manageable than some of the big-a$$ horns required for many of the larger diameter FR drivers.
Old 29th June 2009, 07:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As Chris & rj. suggest. FR driver & non gargantuan cabinet (in modern parlance -I have what many people would consider a somewhat warped view on what constitutes a large box) that kicks you in the gut? Not going to happen.

You could probably do a modest sized box, tuned to about 70Hz; PA style alignment. That's where most of the energy people are refering to when they talk about being kicked in the chest resides. But the box is still unlikely to be especially small.
Old 29th June 2009, 08:40 PM   #10
mteinum is offline mteinum  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mteinum
Dallas II is not that big

I have just completed mine (except finish). Excellent bass in these. That is, they are rolling off ~40Hz in my room/setup, and in a corner placement they should be even better.

Click the image to open in full size.

Turn up the "Sheffield Drum & Track Disc" and you feel the snare physical.

Hide this!Advertise here!