JVC Buyout Oval Spkrs for Open Baffle Line Array - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2009, 12:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JVC Buyout Oval Spkrs for Open Baffle Line Array

Parts Express is currently offering some JVC 3X5 oval speakers (P/N 269-482) with a rectangular frame in their buyouts section. I grabbed 36 with the intention of using them in an open baffle line array. Stacking will be simple using a rectangular cutout. The parameters are also not too shabby. They also look amenable to the standard treatments (puzzlecoat, etc.). Any suggestions for cheap tweeters to complete the picture?
Old 14th June 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

They're suggesting that driver as a "TV Speaker Replacement" and its not even shielded?
Old 15th June 2009, 12:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Who cares? I don't even own a CRT-based TV any more. I was more interested in their other possible uses, given the close stacking allowed by the oval shape and rectangular frame, and reasonable parameters for a small, cheap speaker. I bought a circle jig with them as well, so shipping was free. I'll know more when they arrive.
Old 15th June 2009, 03:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Should have ordered a passel of ND20FB tweeters. Very good sounding and inexpensive.
Old 16th June 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: JVC Buyout Oval Spkrs for Open Baffle Line Array

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
Parts Express is currently offering some JVC 3X5 oval speakers (P/N 269-482) with a rectangular frame in their buyouts section. I grabbed 36 with the intention of using them in an open baffle line array. Stacking will be simple using a rectangular cutout. The parameters are also not too shabby. They also look amenable to the standard treatments (puzzlecoat, etc.). Any suggestions for cheap tweeters to complete the picture?
Have you checked out ApexJr?

cheers

Doug
Old 17th June 2009, 03:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The little Apex. Jr. Tweeters were one option I was considering. The price is certainly right. The crossover frequency would need to be fairly high on those little tweeters, though. A lot will depend on how rough the mid-kHz region is for the JVC drivers
Old 29th June 2009, 09:40 PM   #7
blamus is offline blamus  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-788

I've been reading people are having good results with these, crossed at 6k
Old 29th June 2009, 11:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think I read over on partsexpress forum that someone else made a line of 22 of the 3"x5" and loves it...........

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211843

Norman
Old 30th June 2009, 04:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of using 16 drivers/side - my ceiling isn't as tall as that. Even using some cheap (and relatively tiny) Samsung oval TV speakers, I found that an open baffle line array had amazing midrange presence and sensitivity. The JVCs have it all over the Samsung drivers I have in house, both in cone area and max cone excursion.

When I can get to it, I'll be trying the JVCs with a respectable baffle, most likely cheap plywood for starters. This should make the bass response a little more meaty, so I have at least a chance to cross them over to a woofer of some sort. The drivers as received already have some treatment to avoid cone breakup in the form of two glue beads applied along the long axis of the cone at the junction of the cone proper and the edge surround. Other treatment might help to smooth out the upper range response, but I'm not trying anything until I audition an array of as-is drivers. BTW, these are the first commercial drivers I've seen employing any obvious form of cone treatment to modify the response.
Old 30th June 2009, 05:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

To repeat my rationale for buying these things - I wanted to get around some of the combing problems inherent in a line array by mounting the speakers with the long axis horizontal so that the center to center distance was as small as it could be. A lot of blue-tac will help seal between the drivers and damp the cheap stamped frames.

Hide this!Advertise here!