Audio Nirvana Alnico?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the best would be to ask dick at CSA. i only have the 12 cast frame and this is my only fullrange so i cant compare. i have it crossed with a woofer at 300 hz and what i can say is that it alleviated the AN of some burden for sure compared to the single driver. i havent found a way yet to make it sound acceptably pleasant and natural sounding. but i feel there is alot of potential for this driver either fullrange or crossed. on some tracks it really draws me into the music though. for example "kill em all" sounds awsome.

hope it helps

Thanks for that, i have decided to go with the Cast12"..i asked Dave he said the 8"alnicos sound smoother and sweeter at more moderate volumes but the 12's are more dynamic and handle louder volumes. Occasionally i like to pump my stereo so i am going with the 12's. Looking very forward to this project..should i make my cab's out of MDF or berch?
Thanks Again.

By "berch" I assume you are referring to birch plywood. You'd want to use that instead of actual birch since it will not have the irregularity of solid wood.

I used birch ply with my Super 12s and they sound great. I used 2 3" ports, although others have used the 6", which I believe is what Common Sense Audio is recommending to many folks now.

opps sorry, meant ply. i am sure solid hard wood would be great but to expensive. My next question is what port option,AN recommend the single large port option but there is also the smaller twin option aswell. I have a valodyne non ported 1000w sub that handles the low frequencies lovely so am thinking the larger port would be the way to go cause it handles the low-mids better????

Speakers and shipping by Priority Mail International (6 to 10 days with online tracking number):

Super 15 Cast Frame: $680/pr
Super 12 Cast Frame: 420
Super 12: 370
Super 10 Cast Frame: 370
Super 10: 320
Super 8 ALNICO 580
Super 8 Cast Frame: 310
Super 8: 270
Standard 8: 240
Super 6.5 Cast Frame: 280
Super 6.5: 250
Standard 6.5: 220

These prices are for shipping to Australia in USdollars
It worked out at $523AUD for the 12 Cast Frames

Well, I'd be going as large as you possibly can. Two basic T/S alignments give box volumes of roughly 32ft^3 and 39ft^3 respectively and a trad. BR alignment is 27.8ft^3. The older approach usually yeilds far larger boxes than T/S vented alignments with the vast majority of contemporary FR drivers; the ANs are something of an exception, due to their very high Vas & quite high (rather higher than claimed) Q. So, of the two, the 5.6 would probably be the better bet, assuming you want to minimise the compromises as far as possible. Make sure it's well braced though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.