Parts-Express Clearance 2" full range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
nbrophy is offline nbrophy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Parts-Express Clearance 2" full range

Anyone know a good application for the Parts-Express Clearance 2" Full Range Aluminum Cone Neodymium Drivers (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=289-124).

At $3.80 each they are temping.
Old 9th June 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check out this thread on PE's Tech Talk.
Old 9th June 2009, 03:01 PM   #3
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

Follow my formula for a build using a Tang Band 2"...

Use Horn Calc to come up with a tractrix with a 300 Hz cutoff. Build a square horn by the painfully slow process of laminating pieces of 1/4" MDF. Be terribly dissapointed upon first listen and terribly frustrated trying to get it sound like anything but a wharehouse PA horn. End up crossing it 2000Hz and realize you could do the same thing with a Dayton ND20 and round waveguide at far higher efficiency & sound quality. YMMV, as I used to drink a lot and I could have screwed up the 8-pound horns easily.

83dB 1W/1m and an Fs of 150Hz will get you into desktop computer, nearfield listenning range. For music in an average room, I suspect that these guys won't be able to get much louder than conversation levels, but for some that is all that is desired. Coupled with a cheap 10" or 12", it could be a good value, but by the time you add XO components and helper woofers, I see a lot of trouble for simply trying to keep cost down. But don't let me poo-poo your ideas; at less than $4 a piece, what have you got to lose by getting a pair to experiment with...
Old 9th June 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

without listening to them, I'd recommend the peerless 830983 for either a 4 line array or a larger number in a focused array.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-271

$7.80 in 4+ quantities

.13 ft3 (I think) for sealed f3 under 200hz, cross at 200hz.

Just an idea of a 4 driver
http://www.audiophonics.com/images/d...rs-persp-1.jpg

check out picture at the bottom
http://yu-ra.tripod.com/array.htm

Norman
Old 13th June 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
blamus is offline blamus  United States
diyAudio Member

I wanted to use those for a line array exactly like this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/project.../Kuze3201.html

I posted on PE forums to see if its a good idea

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211526

And i think they have convinced me not to bother.....
Old 13th June 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"They have convinced me not to bother"

from the kuze array writeup

"Conclusion/Listening Impressions
Overall, the speakers are very good sounding, though it definitely sounds different than your standard 2-way bookshelf speaker. The sound is very large, with a good sense of soundstage width and height. I would say that they have a "live" sound, which is great for rock and similar music. They definitely can play loud and clean when mated with the appropriate subwoofer.

Because of the non-tapered line, they great in situations where listening is not occuring precisely in one location, particularly in the vertical plane. This makes them perfect "party speakers" or speakers for the person who listens to music while they do other things. For an audiophile-sort who likes to sit in his sweet spot and sip brandy, these probably aren't the best choice. It was described at DIY2002 Dayton that the imaging was a little loosey-goosey. However, I found from my experimentations that there was a solid image when seated precisely between the speakers, but the sweet spot is rather small.

Several people noted that the high-frequency reproduction lacked some "life" and "air". This could be attributed to the comb filtering problems that definitely were occuring. However, this also could be a result of the high-frequency capabilities of this particular driver, it is hard to say for sure. Whatever the reason, for pure audiophile use I would consider these lines to be slightly less "refined" and "articulate" than many standard speakers.

One of the other key aspects of this setup is the proper subwoofer integration. Because of the fairly high crossover point the proper crossover frequency on the sub and the relative level can make or break the sound. When everything is dialed-in correctly, the transition from sub to satellite can be quite good, however it does take some tweaking to achieve a good integration.

The results of this experiment definitely show the capability of using small and/or low excursion drivers successfully in a line array situation. However, it does illustrate the potential problems of center-to-center spacing in high-frequency performance. Comb filtering is a definitely a legitimate issue. With regards to power-tapering vs. not power-tapering, I am still somewhat up in the air. While tapering may help to solidify the image, it does take away from the "sound is coming from directly in front of you" effect."

If you want that type of sound then go for it.

Or you could run a line of them and a line of ribbon tweeters, but If you are doing that, I'd go up to 3" drivers..............

You evolve over time.
Your audio journey shifts gears........
What I thought was great years before is now intolerable.
Values change, priorities change, critical listening improves.

And hey, a bunch of 2" can never do bass.
It is cheaper to run a 12 or a 15 than to go from 8 to 24 2" drivers. You just don't have the cone area plus length of voice coil and xmax of a woofer.

Norman
Old 15th June 2009, 11:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think that line arrays aren't ideal hi-fi reproducers for one reason:

Your ears are not a line.

This is borne out by the impulse plots of line arrays, which are hardly clean. Line arrays are commonly constructed from small drivers that have wide, uncontrolled dispersion patterns on their own, and the combination of multiple vertically-arranged transducers into a single cylindrical wavefront at high frequencies is a myth. (There's a reason why Bose's MA12 is lowpassed at 12kHz, and it's not because the drivers can't go any higher.) Instead, the transducers simply behave like a line of point sources, interacting with each other to produce comb filtering and multiple arrival times at high frequencies, which generates transient smear and obscures detail. (This is why I've never heard a pro-audio line array - the likes of JBL VerTec, Meyer M3D - that sounded 'right' in the treble range, though I've heard some very nice-sounding point-source boxes.)

You can calculate the path length difference between the nearest and furthest driver in a line array like this:

(delta)=(sqrt((h^2)+(d^2))-d

where delta is the path length difference, h is the vertical distance between your listening height and the height of the highest driver in the array (usually the furthest away), and d is the distance from the listening position to the nearest point of the array (in the same horizontal plane as your ears). This path length difference can create the impression of enhanced spaciousness, but these unintended effects don't bring us any closer to the truth of the recording. One goal of single-driver loudspeakers is for all acoustic radiation to have the same apparent apex and proper phase alignment, but using full-range drivers in a line array negates that advantage.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I built dipole array recently. there is no imaging at all, sound is more like mono. but it is the same in every part of the room. you can get very close to speakers or far away, perceived tone and SPL are the same. so arrays are great for parties.
I'm keeping mine for watching movies, sound reminds one that is heard in movie theaters.
Old 16th June 2009, 01:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

peerless 830983 new review on parts express..............

"Monday, June 15, 2009
Bones from Coatesville, PA

Great little driver at a great price, here on PE. Nasty +10db spike at 2Khz, but that's easily dealt with."

True, that smear in a flat array can be quite objectionable when you know what it is.

Ignorance is bliss.................

Norman
Old 16th June 2009, 01:39 AM   #10
blamus is offline blamus  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting, from what you two are saying, sounds like arrays are more suited for HT use than music? What about live performance? Where they use much bigger scale arrays?

If they are well suited to parties and movies more than conventional speakers, that might just convince me to try them out, I have a friend who is moving into a new house, with a huge big LCD TV but no sound system (what a waste!) Maybe I should build him something for cheap.

Hide this!Advertise here!