Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
next pic

Rolled up.

Attachments

• unfinished.jpg
    unfinished.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 297
Some construction notes...

Exerps from the email from the builder:
"
Each joints was taped lengthwise with masking tape. I used the wide blue masking tape and reinforced it with white tape. Then I clamped some board across the top and bottom edges of the boards so we could turn the whole thing over without disturbing the tape. Now I'm looking at the beveled edges of the 8 sides forming little valleys for the length of the joints...

Working quickly with a 1-inch paint brush and a full pint of yellow carpenter's glue, I painted the glue onto both sides of each bevel, removed the clamps, and rolled the 8-sides into the shape of the tube. I used more masking tape to tape the two unpaired edges together to complete the tube. I also wrapped the tube a few more times with masking tape to tighten up the joints and made sure it was square while it dried for 24 hours.

After a full day and removal of all the masking tape, the joints were absolutely remarkable. You can't even see that there is a joint anywhere along the 8 edges! And, keep in mind, I used plywood that had paper thin veneer. If I had mirrored the grain, you'd swear the octagon was cut from a single block of wood.

I glued in the bottom and stuffed 2/3 of the length at 0.5 lbs/ft^3. The tubes are open on the top side . I covered the raw plywood edge at the open end with scraps of the veneer cut from the plywood. a couple coats of stain (pecan) and varnish finished the finish.

Just for giggles, I took the speakers to the family room and swapped out the JBL LX44s on my 12 year old Onkyo system. They sounded very respectable as compared to the LX44s. I think the JBLs have a little bit better bass, but heck, $20 plus a sheet of plywood, not a bad first effort.
"

In our correspondence he mentionned that he is still very satisfied with these speakers!

All in all a very nice build I think.
I want to thank MR Hilly-wa for allowing me to share his 'creation'.

I certainly would like to try this with the Jordan.

Cheers,

a.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Some construction notes...

Coyote said:
MR Hilly-wa for allowing me to share his 'creation'

It strikes me that this might be improved by flipping it over and building a solid base that holds the terminus just off the ground (bass could be tuned by change of height).

This would provide floor loading of the terminus output, help kill higher frequencies exiting the terminus, and getting the driver at a more appropriate height.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.