Rear firing "ambience" supertweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I played with that many years ago when Radio Shack offered that nasty little "super tweeter".

It wrecks imaging and the amount of HF sound you get depends totally on what your walls are... if drywall, fuggetabbouddit. If melamine like some manufactured home walls, it can do real interesting things... none of it good IMO.

Cheers!

You could try upwards omni But wont work with ribbon though

Will the ribbon sag?

Actually I was thinking about that. Although the design I'm thinking of doesn't belong in this section. I was thinking of putting a Zingali style waveguide on the modern variant of the Morel MDT-33, then equalized back to flat to reduce excursion for a low crossover point. I was thinking of mating a supertweeter for north of 10khz. At first I was thinking rear mounted but I saw another project where someone used a cheap version of a Heil drivers facing down on the pointed part of one of those giant glass crystal diamonds for 360 degree sound dispersion. I was contemplating the same thing in reverse orientation with an LCY130 ribbon tweeter. The design I'm thinking is based on the Samadi Ichiban/FJ OM configuration but with the drivers and a similar cabinet to:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008.htm

But maybe with the added 360 degree supertweeter.

It's worth trying, the xt19 is not expensive. Although I am getting ahead of myself worrying about a supertweeter that's not really needed when I haven't finished the rest of the design. I like to think of all possibilities though. Also I just think have a giant crystal diamond on my speaker would look interesting and I could go on about the "crystal clear highs..." lol. I do like the idea of an omni dispersion pattern around the frequency most tweeter are becoming directional and falling off.

For fun someone should try one of the huge 8" diameter crystal diamond above an upward facing Lowther or such.

I can see someone putting that on the market and calling it a "crystal resonator" or something and selling it for some outrageous amount.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.