Aperiodic boxes with aperiodic TL's - an idea. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2009, 05:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aperiodic boxes with aperiodic TL's - an idea.

Hi all,
I have had my current speakers up and running for a few years now. They are Bigger is Better cabs with some 8"x10" Alnico Isophon drivers and Alnico Isophon helper tweeter. I love the sound of them and am generally very happy with how they perform. Early on I Mass loaded the ports to tighten and tidy up the choppy bass.

The thing is I listen to quite a bit of electronic music which has tight deep bass, and quite frankly the BIB goes deep, but not tight. Other than that I just love the sound of the Isophons. I have a pair of 10" Isophon woofer, which I was contemplating trying to mate with a nice pair of Foster FHT-5 tweeters, but last time I tried that with some big Tannoy's I failed. I really don't want the misery and expense of tunning a crossover from scratch. So I thought - why bother when I have some really nice full range speakers which do almost everything perfectly.

So my idea is take the tuned Isophon combo of Fullrangers and helper tweeter and mount them into a aperiodic box. This will probably lead to a smooth drop off of bass from about 500hz down, but should let the Isophons breath adequately. So I have been messing about with the idea of some TL's for the Isophon woofers. My idea is to build a set of TL's with the Woofer firing vertically into an Aperiodic box. the box is vented on all four faces ie back,front and sides. the aperiodic vents will take care of rolling of the 7K response to meet the top Aperiodic box, and should be easily tuned via the aperiodic vent stuffing. The back transmission line can be tuned to take up where the vents leaves off. I have included a sketch to help you visualise the concept.

So what would be the advantages of this approach;
-the top aperiodic box would be easily tuned and optimised independently.
-the aperiodic TL can be tuned independently, and the TL response can also be tuned independantly.
-because the aperiodic TL is firing from all four faces in phase it should take care of baffle step losses.
- there are no inductors in the system so phase shift and inductive loading of the amp should be less of an issue.

As usual this is purely a thought experiment at this stage and so I may have missed some essential reason why this whole idea just won't work, but i would appreciate any input on this idea.

Shoog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (29.7 KB, 232 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!