felt pads behind driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
Advice requested please. I am ready to finish a set of Sachiko Frugel Horns for a friend from the plans on the Frugel Horn/ Spawn plans site
(http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Sachiko-map-1v01-220309.pdf. )
He has provided a pair of Fostex FE206E drivers. I have made allowances in the baffles immediately behind the driver (Part A as described in the cut list) so the flange of the driver sits on plywood front face and not recessed. I made a pair of cocobolo diffraction rings to cover the flange. There is a felt pad included with each driver and I was told that this should be glued to the back of the magnet and cushions the driver as it sits against baffles Part A.
Unfortunately I did not allow enough clearance and I can not get the drivers to sit against the front when I include the felt pad. How important is the pad and can I use a thinner pad? I think there could be an appreciable and undesirable amount of vibration if there is no padding behind the driver so I am not about to install them pad less.
I'd appreciate any comments you may offer. On my prior- and only other - post here, I received no replies so I don't know if my question was not worth responding to or if I violated some type of DIYaudio etiquette or was not formatted properly. If you care to reply please send any responses to duckbite@qis.net.
Thanks in advance, and I will present photographs as soon as the drivers are sanded and finished.
Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.