PHY-HP 6"-ish drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was aware PHY-HP was designing a pressed-basket cheaper versions but assumed they would be => 8" drivers. Then I stumbled across this (4th paragraph) when doing a Diatone search:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/helsinki08/show_2.html

Seems to me that a pressed would be fine for a ~6 1/2" driver. Bronze as used in PHY-HP and some other driver$ seems somewhat gaudy and overkill on 'most any driver. Qualification: I prefer the understated, minimal waste, form-follows-function, and fundamental inherent beauty aesthetic. Others differ.

Cheers
Raymond

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ahh, could be a small misunderstanding

The 6" fullrange is used in the smallest Ocellia speaker design

Not alnico magnet, and Im not sure it has anything to do with PHY

Attachments

• calliope16cp.jpeg
    calliope16cp.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 708
could be but it would've been Srajan Edaen who got it wrong: "Ocellia's speaker lineup is PHY all the way. Three different models utilize a 96dB/15-ohm/6.3-incher, a 98dB/16-ohm/8-incher..."
is that ocellia model on the market or is it vaporware and does the driver look like anything you've seen before?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
mp9 said:

or is it vaporware and does the driver look like anything you've seen before?

I havent seen any close/detailed pictures of that 6"
If you have a picture, I would like to see it

Maybe a modified driver or custom made, could be anything
But Im sure its not an ordinary standard driver

Just now Im thinking maybe Supravox could be involved
Or maybe both PHY and Supravox

But so far its nothing but speculation

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Supravox HP165 LB looks exstremely nice :)
Its affordable, and I have considered it as a dedicated midrange driver

On picture of Ocellia it looks to me like they just removed the dustcap, and no center plug either

Attachments

• supravoxhp165lb.jpg
    supravoxhp165lb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 637
Off topic:
Of the Supravox models - especially for midrange duty - the 165 GMF looks to be most suitable; 8 ohms, smoother FR with much nice upper-freq roll-off. The challenge for me would be pulling the trigger on these when Supravox build and sound quality has received variable reports (consistency may be a problem). BTW, this is not the case with PHY-HP, which seems to have received consistent reports regarding build quality.

Back on topic:
PHY-HP and Supravox may have collaborated for the 6.3" PHY-HP driver, though I have my doubts. Why? The PHY-HP 6.3” seems more in-line with PHY-HP type parameters, has a pressed (not cast per Supravox 165) basket, transfer of knowledge in past has moved from PHY-HP to Supravox and not the vice versa (I am not sure what benefit Supravox could offer), and the PHY guys seem to be values-driven guys that invest lot of effort to ensure their products and brand fit their particular vision...

This is all speculation based on snippets of info gathered, filed away, haphazardly organised, and loosely analysed in my failing mind; there could be zero Truth here. I will email PHY-HP this week – they have been helpful in the (distant) past.

Cheers
Raymond

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
There have been some talk about PHY making custom voicecoils fore Supravox
I believe it was something with silver wire coils and paper former, a speciality of PHY

btw, how old is the 6moon report you refer to ?

Somehow the driver shown there looks different from the one shown on Ocellia site
Especially the surround

There has been some changes lately at PHY. The PHYs do have historical ties with Supravox, but I don't believe Supravox has anything to do with the new PHY 6 in drivers.

Samuel Furon (of Ocelia) told me that they are looking at selling the 6in drivers soon with an attractive pricetag. I am hoping to get one of the first pairs as soon as he has samples. It is a high Qts design (unlike the Supravox) and will have a fairly standard press steel frame (as I understand it).

I'll post my impressions as soon as I have a chance to listen to them... (might be in January).

Off topic:
-Supravox build and sound quality has received variable reports (consistency may be a problem).
-knowledge in past has moved from PHY-HP to Supravox and not the vice versa (I am not sure what benefit Supravox could offer)

Supravox start 1945...he is the mother fullrange!
is closed and probabily in the 90 year went in the wrong hand and have some problem ...The great Bernard RIP work for supravox before open the phy...btw now the supravox is very fine

ciao

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.