PHY-HP 6"-ish drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, The Phy xponential cones were largely brought to from the Supravox experience. But bernard did push the Phy lineup further than supravox did. Supravox expanded their lineup (i tried many of their older and current models over the years)' but remained rather traditionnal and in line with their heritage.

Phy spent more time researching and building products with their own philosophy. It is a very specialized shop of high end product. Supravox also offer nice products, but they are now miles apart.

The "Magic"' I believe, comes from a successful combination of compromises. For example: I'm currently listening to some taiwanese (diatone clones) 6 inch fullrange with regular VC, no silver, no alnico, cheap stamped frames, etc... That simply runs circles around many high end fullrange that often cost 10x the price. Just to show that sometimes looks can be deceiving. My expensive German fulrange drivers might end up on the selling block...;)

Finally opted for the PHY H21LB15SAG (8 inch with silver voice coil) augmented with the TW37 piezo paper tweeter. I won't be getting the new 6in driver, but will probably get a chace to hear it before long...:shhh:

My cabinets are a DIY Rondo knockoff (good, but not excellent). The Phys really are interesting drivers. Different, but really interesting.

I will, in the long run, try to build DIY copies of the Musical Affairs Crescendo (when time permits).

Samuel Furon told me that the H21LB actually works quite well in the TQWP (or TQWT) that was designed by B. Salabert. That might be a worthwhile option in the meanwhile.

Happy trails!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.