Alpair 6 Bass Reflex Bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is only a preview.

My sister wanted a pair of new speakers. Have to be small, bookshelf, but enough SPL for small room (20 sq m). After some searching and consideration, I settled for a 6.5 litre bass reflex with the Alpair 6.

The pipe is 36mm ID and 103mm long (excluding the bellmouth). The form and construction is well known. No BSC, but a 4ohm 10W metal film in series, for now. Outside dimensions approximately 200mm x 276mm x 305mm. Walls lined with single layer of sonofil.

Here is the prototype unfinished (still need to sand and spray).

Absolutely gorgious thing (and not only the look). Thanks to MarkAudio for a great product. We are going to build 10 pairs of these.

We'll publish open-air measurement when we get a weekend without rain and with free time.

Patrick

Attachments

• 090418 ap6 br cs.jpg
    090418 ap6 br cs.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,836
It'll take us till July, or later, to be able to posted everything, including measurements and pictures of a full finished article (with custon design stands). In the meantime, pls bear with us.

Patrick

PS One thing we shall not publish is the drawing, to avoid us getting into trouble with a certain speaker manufacturer.

;)

I have only experience with the 6, not the 5 & the 10. So difficult to comment on differences. Perhaps Henkjan can.

As to results, we are still hoping to publish measurements soon.
We found that our microphone is not well calibrated, and ordered a new one. Just need time.

But we did listen for 4 hours or so. Otherwise we won't be building so many in one go.

How did they sound ? The reference at that particular session was a pair of B&W CDM1 with Mundorf Crossovers (1:1 component values, but KP caps and foil air coils). European Speaker of the Year 1997, I believe. The Alpairs had much better clarity without being bright, and I did not find the small BR lacking in bass by any means. If you absolutely need to go down to 20Hz, then a subwoofer helps. But for music listening, I'd be happy to just use them as they are, without sub. The room was 8m x 5m, acoustically well damped. And we played loud, just to look for any deficiencies.

We still hope to fine tune a bit based on measurement results. But I think we are very close to optimum.

Patrick

The only Full Range we have built were the Brines FT1600 and a pair of mangers in open baffle. While the Brines have a somewhat fuller sound, as you would expect from a floor stander, there is just no match for clarity as well as mids and highs. The Alpairs have some magic, like the Jordan's.

The Mangers are something else. Either you love them, or you don't. And we have both in our DIY camp. Suffice to say that one of the stern supporters of Manger in our Group has ordered 8 Alpairs for his HT system. The Mangers are only for stereo then, at about 8 times the price per chassis.

But there are many here who have more experiences with Full Range chasses than we do. I think there is no shortage of comments on these nice little drivers at DIYA.

Patrick

BTW Mark (from Mark Audio) has kindly pointed out that the same housing will fit a CHR70 very well, with only minor adjustment to the pipe length necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.