Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
dhenryp is offline dhenryp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bigger Frugel horn (Bugelhorn?)

I'm planning a horn derived from the Frugel horn but taller and refolded. See the attached pdf (sorry - no CAD here). One goal is to get the driver to ear level. The internal width is the same as the frugel (14cm = 5.5") and the foot print will be the same as the frugel with wings. Not shown, but planned is a frugel like deflector.

I've kept the frugel horn expansion but I've modified the folding to get a square cross section at the throat and to better proportion the mouth- the top half of the frugel mouth is pretty skinny and probably not totally effective. To get the throat square, I've made the first meter of the horn a constant 2" and I will be using a wedge to make the curve. I've calculated the frugal throat at about 4 square inches so this will give me a 2 X 2 inch throat. The wedge will be to one side rather than centered. Like the frugel, the CC is configurable.

I've drawn it with 3/4" front, top, bottom and partitions. Right now it looks like I'll make the the front and top out of maple, the sides plywood and the partitions and bottom out of poplar. 1 X 6" poplar from a big box store is exactly the right size - it's actually 3/4 X 5 1/2.

I know I could build the frugal and tilt it back but half the fun of this hobby for me is designing something. This is totally derivative so many thanks to Dave and the frugel horn originators for doing the heavy lifting on the design.

Comments are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bugelhorn.pdf (99.4 KB, 928 views)
Old 15th May 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

BTW: The driver is probably going to be Fostex FE108EZ's (although I haven't absolutely ruled out FE126E's).
Old 15th May 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I can not give you any feedback on the viability but I like the simplicity of the shape and the increased height of the driver would obviate the need for tilting the speaker.

I don't have any experience with either driver, but from reading posts here, the 126-eNabled is significantly better than the 108-sigma. And if you're willing to eNable the 126 yourself, it's cheaper to boot.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

All things being equal, I might lean toward the 126's. All things are not equal as I've had the FE108EZ's sitting on the shelf for several years now
Old 16th May 2009, 07:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
don't have any experience with either driver, but from reading posts here, the 126-eNabled is significantly better than the 108-sigma. And if you're willing to eNable the 126 yourself, it's cheaper to boot.
Regarding this comparison, the way I interpret the posts from experienced users and people that have listened to both drivers is:

FE108ESig still rules the midrange and has a more finely resolved, distant, and 'relaxed' way with the tunes.

FE126eN is more efficient, dynamic, extended at both ends, and upfront. However, even with treatment the FE126eN still has a smidge of the untreated 126's aggressive (upper?)mids.

There are a few people who prefer the untreated 108 over the treated FE126eN, so I'd hesitate to state that the FE126eN is "significantly better" in a general sense. Different might be more appropriate. What I would like to know is how Dave's treatments for the 108 have worked out.

Considering my preferences and constraints, in the context of FAST system I'd likely prefer the straight 108 in Aiko over a fully worked 126 in 'most anything. That said, this is all guesstimation, as I have heard neither.

Cheers
Raymond
Old 16th May 2009, 08:18 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rcdaniel
What I would like to know is how Dave's treatments for the 108 have worked out.
The 1st set of uneblemished 108eS are on the bench (along with 3 206eSR.

dave
Old 16th May 2009, 08:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave

Hopefully the 108s are run in and you will be able to report soon. That said, don't feel the need to rush or re-prioritise on my account; I can wait for your report.

Cheers
Raymond
Old 16th May 2009, 11:05 AM   #8
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bigger Frugel horn (Bugelhorn?)

Dear D Henry,

As a complete non tech person I do thank for your Bugel Horn PDF. I'd come to a similar conclusion about the listening height, I do prefer the soundstage just above my ears.

I will soon have a small room 7ft x 10ft to use as a listening room and these will be able to take advantage of the corner positions perfectly.

Regards - Jem
Old 16th May 2009, 08:48 PM   #9
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Bugel Horn Taper

Dear D Henry,

I have been thinking about the taper in the Bugel Horn and wondered if doing it this way would work. Using two pieces per speaker of 1/2" x 2" following the folds in the 2" part of the to make the taper.

I hope this sketch explains it beter than my words;

Click the image to open in full size.

Regards - Jem
Old 17th May 2009, 02:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jem,

I think that could work. The problem I would have is figuring out how to affix it to the sides of the partitions.

What I was thinking was to create a solid wedge out of two inch thick material. I would make the two inch material by gluing together two pieces of .75" MDF and one piece of .5" MDF. Think of it as a 39" long pie slice shape that is 2" thick and starts at 3.5" wide and tapers to a point. Of course it has to bend in two places to fit the folding but that just makes it interesting to construct. The wedge would be pushed to one side so that the 2 X 2" throat would start at the opposite side. I don't think the asymmetry is important.

I don't know if my description makes sense but I don't have the technology to create a 3d drawing that shows it.

Denis

Hide this!Advertise here!