Bigger Frugel horn (Bugelhorn?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Curly Walnut and Birds Eye Maple. One down and one to go.

Attachments

• img_0253.jpg
    img_0253.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 371
I've decided to put FE108EZs in the bugelhorns. While I'm half and half I thought I would take some comparison measurements. In both cases the speakers and Mic are in the exact same spot. I've boosted the FE108EZ graph by 3db to compensate for the different sensitivities (FE126E = 93db, FE108EZ = 90db).

Attachments

• fe126e v fe108ez.jpg
    fe126e v fe108ez.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 348
Here is the same plots heavily smoothed to better show trends. You can see the FE108EZ has less of a rising high end and (at least in this room in this cabinet) has a more extended low end.

One possible reason for this; as Dave has mentioned before, the published FE126E Theil Small Parameters are not very accurate. The measured Fs, for example, of the FE126E is 83 hz as opposed to a published 70 hz. The measured Fs for the FE108EZ is 79hz V a published spec of 77hz. The cabinet was designed for the published FE126E specs and so is not ideal for the actual drivers. The as-built cabinet does match well with the as measured FE108EZ, which is why I'm switching.

I'm working on a new horn to work with the actual FE126Es I have so all is good.

Attachments

• fe126e v fe108ez smoothed.jpg
    fe126e v fe108ez smoothed.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 341
Hi Denis, I am really psyched to read your postings, as you have gotten further than I could get on my own, and you are doing a fantastic job of documenting your findings for clueless but eager newbs like me.

Do you have any future plans to go to 6" Fostex or even 8" Fostex at some point? Just curious!

As part of my Little Big Horn thread it was recommended I try some fiber stuffing to get rid of some spiky ripples. I did and it did. I then tried putting two handfuls fiber stuffing in the Bugehorn and it had the same result.

Attachments

• bh mouth with stuff.jpg
    bh mouth with stuff.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 342
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.