Prime Suspects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My most recent speaker project has been with a pair of Hemp Acoustics 6.5" drivers. For this project I wanted to use a new toy of mine (the biscuit joiner) and i wanted to make the enclosures appear as if they were not made of plywood. The trade-off of having mitred edges is diffraction, so I decided to add somewhat of a supraBaffle. These enclosures were designed with prime numbers, not just cross section area but also height, and obviously driver placement and brace (although the brace ended up moving some).

So these are made of biscuited mitred BB baffles, an MDF brace, and a padauk supraBaffle. I used sanding sealer and a satin polyurethane to finish them. These are sealed enclosures and are going to sit on my desk for the next 3 months while I'm working in Miami.

The sound... more laid back than the Fostex FE127 MLTL. Much easier to listen too. Obviously go deeper, but the enclosures are not as dead as the fostex's and i think i hear a little of the enclosure on some deeper notes. I travel with my NuForce Icon which lacks bass and really have not gotten to try it out on another good amp. Once I've moved down to Miami I'll be purchasing the better power supply which should help. Unfortunately I haven't done much listening to these since I've been trying to get construction done before i leave for Miami on Saturday.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So half way through writing that I connected the speakers back up to the amp (I've been applying the sealer and polyurethane for the past couple of days). Voices are outstanding! Kick drums don't have enough umph. Hopefully that should change after the new power supply.

I probably should have built some bass reflex enclosures, but i understand there is a large variance in these drivers and without equipment to measure other than a multimeter and an spl meter i figured I'd take the safe route.

rjbond3rd,

Thank you for the compliment, i just used square root of 2 and 3.

I don't have many pictures, you can check out my website on the last page to see all of the pictures. Once I have them set up in Miami I'll take some more pictures.

Padauk is was pretty easy to work with, smelled great. Padauk loses its redness over time, but i think the sanding sealer will help it keep its bright red color.

The first picture it the back side of the front baffle the second is the boxes after construction was finished, before the finish was applied.

Thanks,

Josh

rjbond3rd,

The trick to making the supraBaffle have a nice even roundover is to leave the jasper jig on the router. You have to change the diameter, but its easy as pie.

I've never made miter boxes before so this was not so easy and I think I need to calibrate my table saw again. Clamping these was a difficult task trying to get a seamless look.

I have forgotten to mention to volume which is 26.5 litres.

Thanks,

Josh

I got my upgraded power supply yesterday and it was everything I was hoping for. The bass is filled in and the speakers have the authority that they were missing. The power supply upgrade was from 24W to 42W. Not only did the bass fill in, midbass became stronger, and the highs now demand your attention. This simple upgrade totally changed the sound and gave me much more head room as well. I'm in Miami for the summer and have had a couple of parties, just as any member of the forum I am proud to show off my speakers, but I have felt as if they didn't sound up to par. As far as an entire system that expensive (between the drivers, expensive wood, and a pretty penny on the amp) I should have a pretty well rounded system and after adding the new PS I feel that I do.

Thanks,

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.