Collated Design Criteria/dimensions for Ariel ML-TL Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I claim no design or any proprietary knowledge for this design. This is the collected design/knowledge/information provided by Scottmoose and Planet 10 free to the world at large on an Ariel ML-TL design.

This information have been collated here from a number of posts and answers to queries which they have both willingly answered on various diyaudio.com threads, to enable other members to construct this great design. Long may they both reign!!

Quote from Scottmoose

¡°I like the Ariel. I used to own a V4, which I sold a few months back when the number of speakers I owned was threatening to swamp the house. However... I think that the drivers and crossover are better than the cabinet is. Ariel was designed before there was any complete modelling theory regarding quarter-wave resonators, and the cab is also both extremely complex and relatively expensive to construct. ¡°

Design Criteria

Use the same Seas / Vifa drivers and Lynn's excellent crossover in an easier to build cabinet see Lynn Olsen¡¯s web page

Straight MLTL assuming 3/4" (nearest metric equivalent is 18 mm) build material.

Internal line-length: 45" (1143 mm)

Internal width: 6 1/2" (165 mm) (so preserving the external 8" (203 mm) width and avoiding any need for crossover modifications)

Internal depth: 12" (305 mm)

Circular port, 4"D x 2" L (101 mm D x 51 mm L)

CL of port to be 3" (76 mm) from the internal base on the front panel.

Port can be located on front, back or side

MTM driver layout, same as existing Ariel versions.

Tweeter centre 11 1/4" (286 mm) down from the internal top.

0.25lbs ft^3 (113.4 g/0.0283 m3) ¡Ö (4005g/m3) of Dacron (or similar) stuffing from the top to 4" (101mm) below the lower driver. (Lynn Olsen recommended that the fill be 75% wool 25% micro fill synthetic (no fibreglass)).

Speaker cabinet top-panel to be double thickness.

Keep the large radii on the edges and top if you wish -no reason why not.

You could also add a couple of internal braces too. Position to be front to back 2/3 in from tweeter side (set so panel is clear of tweeter) and side to side panels (located 1/3 in from back panel (using internal dimensions)

Bracing to be ¡°Cheese holed¡± no more than 35% holes ( that is hole bored into bracing to allow the sound waves to pass through).

Ideally cross over to be located outside of speaker cabinet

Note the following conversions from Imperial to Metric were used

Length 1inch = 25.4 mm Weight 1lb = 453.6g Volume 1 ft3 = 0.0283 m3

I apologise if there are any errors and would be grateful for any comments.

I have ordered the speakers and the rest of the kit needed and will post progress reports on my build

Please wish me luck as this is my first DIY loudspeaker.

Regards

;) :) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.