Driver inside of mouth of a folded conical horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, has anyone of you built such a speaker? I've seen two pictures posted in other threads, but no comments as to how they sound or how to design one. I recall seeing one posted by hm with a Lowther driver and another by GM that looked vintage; circa 1950s.

I'm curious as to how to design and build one. Is it as simple cutting a conical horn in half and sticking the smaller half (reverse) into the larger half? Or is it something where a compression chamber or loading of some sort is created behind the driver and then exhausts into the throat of the horn? Or is it something completely different?

Would high QTS drivers be applicable given the short path akin to an open baffle?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmmm. I don't know what you're talking about but ...

You could be referring to a driver with a front loaded horn (FLH) and rear loaded horn (RLH). Or a wave-guide front (very shallow horn). Or your could be referring to a "tapped" horn. This is where there's one horn but the driver is connected in two locations, one side near the terminous and one near the mouth.

Or is it something entirely different?

I think he might be describing a reflex horn as seen in public address systems, but is interested in a higher fi version. I made a small corner horn like this once. Speaker was in small chamber right in corner, 1st part of horn out towards the room centre, second part back to the corner and the third part was the walls.
jamikl

Hello,

this he had in mind.

Attachments

• sathorn aussen2web.jpg
    sathorn aussen2web.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 410
I once built ceiling firing speaker with driver directly beside the relatively small mouth. I wouldn´t say it satisfied me, but there was a clear difference in bass extension when I placed a board between mouth and driver.

Attachments

• omnitap2.jpg
    omnitap2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 386
Hello,

backloaded low-mid horn
with coaxial horn throat and horn mouth
and extrem low mouth membran distance.

and small distance of the horn walls the second
part of the horn, free space in the bend,

sounds very direct, most 8" FR driver gets by softfibre
help below ~800 Hz, 98-103 dB, but only down to ~120 Hz
as an sat horn with active sub ~100 Hz 18 dB.
minimum listening distance 4 m, so more for a large
room, for normal room see my SCHALMEI.

today i prefer my SAXOPHON, no sub needed.

Thanks for the explanation.

I understand the application. The size of the mouth sets the cutoff @ 120Hz. And designed to be used with a sub and/or as part of a multi-way system. So, that is where the minimum listening distance of 4m comes from (?). Certainly, as part of a bigger system, a viable alternative to a large conventional front loaded horn like the Oris 150, since the highs would not be attenuated and less directional.

For a stand-alone enclosure, I suppose by enlarging the mouth I would be able to go lower. But, then it would be easier and less risky to simply go with a proven Fostex style rear loaded horn where the acoustic gain is over a lower bandwidth.

Still very intriguing...

Hello,
thanks GM !

ultrakaz,

in living rooms the mouth size is not so important,
the length and flare rate is more important,
in this case: HORN sats coal was to fill up to~800 Hz,
that you can´t get by a bass horn only you enlarge the box wideness by loose a bit soundstage,
a horn is only 3 oktaven useful.

Bass in living rooms:
40 Hz is 8,5 m long,
ear brain can get so low frequencies
after the 4 wave, so
the "sound" is 100ms or 34 m on the run
and reflected in you room before you get it,

below ~300 Hz the room and placement
is dominat.

GM, thanks for the pic of the RCA twin power horn.

Have you heard this horn? Is there another driver that faces directly into the thoat or is the driver conventionally mounted in the rear of the large horn? I couldn't tell from the picture.

I did a search and read that it was created for an event in 1933(!). I suppose something similar, using "modern" drivers could be built. Perhaps, even scaled down as the original was a 3-foot cube.

Greets!

You're welcome!

Not that I'm aware of.

Yes, the mid-bass horn is a FLH and you can see part of the rear of the woofer in the upper left corner of the opening.

Oh really? Where did you read that? AFAIK it was developed for the '39 New York World's Fair.

Yes, no doubt someone with the skills/patience could make variations of it, though of course to scale it down is to raise its ~70 Hz useful LF BW.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.