A thread for Tysen and variations on WAW / FAST

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MTM ML-TL FAST

Our next project based on this concept playing in my office today.

Woden Design's Twin EL166 ML-TL (with my own variations). Executed as an MTM with an FF85KeN. We started this one before FF85 was discontinued, you could use your favorite mid-tweeter -- i think Alpair 6M should be a good candidate -- or a tweeter of your choice.

Lots of good well controlled bass. Even thou XO work is still at early stage, i am quite happy with them.

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

195455d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-close.jpg

dave

hey Dave - besides that new project - got any F.A.S.T. suggestions for a reasonably compact speaker to play the odaiko-stuff at heady spl? Seems (?) like it'd have to have the fullrange move less than the woofer to survive indicating 2nd order highpass. -got a Trio12 in my pile.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Another FAST-related idea I've been kicking around is to update vintage boxes with a fullrange + woofer setup.
Could first-order passive high and low pass filters work with the right driver combination?
If the fullrange drivers are used with said high pass ~ 200 Hz, could they share a 1.5 ft^3 sealed cabinet with an 8-10" woofer?
Just rudimentary musings -- sorry if this is categorically not in line with the FAST philosophy.

Last edited:
maybe 15TBX is too loud for this application? - in a little reflex its 3-4.5dB lower in sensitivity than a strong woofer with half its moving mass making it 7dB less than the JBL in a Karlson

Factory spl and Z
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3766/15tbx40splz.png
B&C ~ groundplane in my V-vent RCA-Fan reflex vs a JBL bass guitar speaker
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dave,

Peerless is a severely underrated brand - and can give professionals more peace of mind. No redesigning your boxes every year for the new model with the TSP just that tiny bit too different. :cloud9: Once they have a good one they keep building it. And a factory fresh one will measure exactly like the orphan you´ve had on your shelf for a decade.

How´s the weather in BC?

Pit

Here is a visualization of the next iteration of "Tysen", with the new FF85wk augmented by an ML-TL with 2 Peerless 4" (thanx Scott). The little uFonkenSET are already in play and quite stunning, the Peerless woofers are on the break-in bench.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Nice design Dave - now we need to hear from you how the Fonkenwoofs play together with the uFonkenset. Are we talking about Peerless 830855 here?

What sort of F3 and F10 do you expect to reach?

- Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice design Dave - now we need to hear from you how the Fonkenwoofs play together with the uFonkenset. Are we talking about Peerless 830855 here?

What sort of F3 and F10 do you expect to reach?

830870, I do wish they'd use more memorable designations.

The 855 will work as well, but with a bit less room friendly roll-off.

870 has an F10 below 40, a nice knee at 40, and a gentle slope down starting at about 80 hz,

855 is flatter to 50 hz, but then dives.

Dayton is in-between

dave

The 1st pass dsrawing i did was a standard rectangular box... here is one that resides in the UK

rectangularTysen.jpg

plans for this one attachec (note, these plans are still not presentation quality, i will be updating them)

dave

Dave, is there any particular advantage in mounting the woofer on the side wall ? Why not just mount the woofer and the FR driver on a wider baffle on the front. This way,
(1)the acoustic centers of the drivers will be closer and
(2)the baffle step will be at a lower frequency allowing lower cross over frequency and a wider frequency band of operation for the FR driver.

Both the above should improve coherency aspects, more in line with advantages of "full range" sound.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave, is there any particular advantage in mounting the woofer on the side wall ? Why not just mount the woofer and the FR driver on a wider baffle on the front. This way,
(1)the acoustic centers of the drivers will be closer and
(2)the baffle step will be at a lower frequency allowing lower cross over frequency and a wider frequency band of operation for the FR driver.

Both the above should improve coherency aspects, more in line with advantages of "full range" sound.

Part of the design brief with Tysen was to keep it slim. They need to be toed in 30 degrees, woofers on the outside for best performance. At the frequency of the XO the drivers are essentially coincident. The XO and the shapes were all carefully tailored.

Now when we did the MTM with EL166 we did all those things you suggest. XO was much simplier and could be passive. About the same XO point as Tysen.

dave