A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2009, 11:34 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

To some extent, it may be simpler to list the one that won't work. Do you have measurement capability?

The W4-1337SD is outstanding in the midrange but does require a notch filter to control the break-up. The bamboo drivers are nice and have less breakup to deal with. The W4-1052 has shown to be admirable if you don't mind a minor drop in output above 15kHz. There is a new one available to us in the States that looks very intriguing, W3-1401D.

Of course, I will once again plug the Mark Audio CHR-70. It is wonderful and just as cheap as the better TBs.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:12 PM   #42
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid that it is very slow progress at my end in terms of a FAST speaker design and now that it's holiday season ...

Anyway, looking at the miniTysen 0v7 design it is the Full-range driver that gets the TL treatment with the woofer in the sealed cavity. This is the opposite way around to what I had expected - where the woofer would enjoy TL loading for extended bass and the full-range would sing nicely in a sealed box.

I see an issue that for the TL for a woofer means lower frequency which drives a longer line and so it implies more box volume to get enough folded TL length -

what are your thoughts ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:44 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
I'm afraid that it is very slow progress at my end in terms of a FAST speaker design and now that it's holiday season ...

Anyway, looking at the miniTysen 0v7 design it is the Full-range driver that gets the TL treatment with the woofer in the sealed cavity. This is the opposite way around to what I had expected - where the woofer would enjoy TL loading for extended bass and the full-range would sing nicely in a sealed box.

I see an issue that for the TL for a woofer means lower frequency which drives a longer line and so it implies more box volume to get enough folded TL length -

what are your thoughts ?

Well, if that's open to the floor, the specific drivers were chosen for synchronistic performance:

1) we're big fans of the the SDX7, and chose it precisely because it works very well in small sealed enclosures (indeed, if using a single as a powered sub, the funnest part can be getting some plate amps to fit in the same box)

2) as Dave posted earlier, the TL was chosen for the FF85K (another driver on our personal "short list") to smooth its operational impedance load

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...52#post1827952
Old 30th July 2009, 10:52 PM   #44
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
[I see an issue that for the TL for a woofer means lower frequency which drives a longer line and so it implies more box volume to get enough folded TL length -
The issue with the SDX7 is that like a few XBL drivers it has a abrupt stop when pushed past its limits as it bangs intot he back plate. A sealed box provides an air cushion to compensate. After doing a TL for the SDX7 (actually 2 per box) and then having to stuff the terminus till it was almost sealed, i'm sticking with sealed for this driver.

dave
Old 31st July 2009, 02:26 PM   #45
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, that's very helpful and give me a bit more food for thought. I guess a sealed box is also better suited for EQ as well, providing there's enough Xmax.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:21 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
The issue with the SDX7 is that like a few XBL drivers it has a abrupt stop when pushed past its limits as it bangs intot he back plate.
So, is that the reason XBL's "fart" when out of Xmax

Cheers!
Old 18th September 2009, 03:01 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Here's a question, Dave - would using two woofers (shallow mounting) magnet to magnet be better?? - you talked of colouration, and having a woofer at each side of the box would stop the box vibrating... provided there's enough bracing.

Chris
Old 18th September 2009, 03:10 PM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A pr of push-push woofers would certainly have advantages.

To keep the current size they'd need to be smaller & quite shallow). A pair of Silver Flute W14s are too deep for instance.

dave
Old 18th September 2009, 03:20 PM   #49
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

To keep the current size they'd need to be smaller & quite shallow). A pair of Silver Flute W14s are too deep for instance.

dave
a pair of something like these from our friend mr Wiggins could be interesting, but the minimum order requirements...

http://www.acousticdev.com/cms/index...ized&Itemid=60
Old 18th September 2009, 08:07 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
What if they were slightly offset?

We could practically do a desktop Tyson with them

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!